C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tool to use to flush rear diff?

Old 07-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tool to use to flush rear diff?

I just got off the phone to GM, I wanted to see how much they charge to flush and fill a differential. $99.00 Oh what a deal :skep: Mr. Lube does it for $20. So, anyhow I think its time I broke down and buy the tools that I need to do that job. I know I need some kind of pump, to get the old stuff out and the new stuff in. What do you guys use, and part numbers if you don't mind.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:40 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: What tool to use to flush rear diff? (Dwayne 76)

You could probably get a small hose from a maxi-vac hand pump to the bottom and suck out most of the lubricant. Then refill with the GM part #1052271 (80W-90) axle lube and GM limited slip additive. There are "generic" lubricants and additives out there, can't say you would or would not have any problems with them. Most cars are much easier to do then Vettes because you just pull the case cover and let the old stuff out. Can't do that in a Vette without a major rear end overhaul. Some guys are adding a drain plug to the differential case to provide for ease of changing the lubricant.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:40 PM
dewcustom
Racer

the best thing to do is to remove the cover but i know that canbe tough if you have the spring mounted to it so what you could do is go to a local hardware store and get a small pump i have a pump that i hook to my drill and it worked great for pumping the fluid into the diff so i would think it would pump it out. pump cost about $10 ;)
Old 07-29-2003, 04:46 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: What tool to use to flush rear diff? (dewcustom)

What tool? The tool they hired down at Jiffy Lube to do it! :D Used gear lube is nasty smelly stuff, and the plug on a vette is hard to get to. Also, the stuff is very hard to pump out unless it's hot, and working in close proximity to a hot exhaust is no fun. It's $20 well spent, IMHO, to let some other poor smuck deal with it.

JB

[Modified by JB, 3:49 PM 7/29/2003]
Old 07-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What tool to use to flush rear diff? (JB)

What tool? The tool they hired down at Jiffy Lube to do it! :D Used gear lube is nasty smelly stuff, and the plug on a vette is hard to get to. Also, the stuff is very hard to pump out unless it's hot, and working in close proximity to a hot exhaust is no fun. It's $20 well spent, IMHO, to let some other poor smuck deal with it.

JB

[Modified by JB, 3:49 PM 7/29/2003]
I think I'm just going to keep on doing that. $20 well spent I guess. :lurk:
Old 07-29-2003, 04:54 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: What tool to use to flush rear diff? (JB)

What tool? The tool they hired down at Jiffy Lube to do it! :D Used gear lube is nasty smelly stuff, and the plug on a vette is hard to get to. Also, the stuff is very hard to pump out unless it's hot, and working in close proximity to a hot exhaust is no fun. It's $20 well spent, IMHO, to let some other poor smuck deal with it. JB
:iagree:

I did mine myself because I thought it'd be easy . . . took 2 hours with a cheap bulb hand pump to get the old fluid out, and putting the new stuff in was real F'in messy! Take the right lubricants to Jiffy Lube and have fun :bs 'ing with the kid who has to do it for you.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:56 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What tool to use to flush rear diff? (74-Roadster)

Or yet another option would be to pull the plug in the side slide a collection pan under and then tilt your car 90 degrees toward the plug. :troll
Old 07-29-2003, 05:58 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What tool to use to flush rear diff? (dath)

Or yet another option would be to pull the plug in the side slide a collection pan under and then tilt your car 90 degrees toward the plug. :troll
I like that idea the best. :lolg:
Old 07-29-2003, 09:23 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a hand pump by Atwood from Walmart. It's desgned to suck oil through the dipstick on inboards and I/O boat motors. I used it on the diff and my tranny when I installed my shift kit.
The gear oil was a little hard to "pull out" because I didn't warm it up. But it only took 5 min. The pump costs about $16.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:31 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Default Re: What tool to use to flush rear diff? (isosceles)

If my wife reads this post she'll finally know why she has to buy a new turkey baster every year! :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To What tool to use to flush rear diff?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What tool to use to flush rear diff?