C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the advantage of EFI?

Old 07-29-2003, 03:46 PM
ykp53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the advantage of EFI?

what makes it better than a carb. what are the advantages/ disadvantegs of switching over? just curious?
Old 07-29-2003, 03:58 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: What is the advantage of EFI? (ykp53)

Fuel economy will double, if you drive the car much, it's nice to go further than 200 miles between fillups....
if you like easy starting in all weather....if you like having an engine that hardly ever can flood.....
if you like broader torque range, more response on the throttle,.....
if you like longer times/miles between tuneups....
longer intervals between oil changes....less cylinder washing with gasoline...

but on the other hand...you better love wiring, you will have enough of it....

GENE
Old 07-29-2003, 04:00 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: What is the advantage of EFI? (mrvette)

i agree with gene totally,i went from 5-8 mpg with a smallish cam to 20 mpg with a bigger cam and a ton more torque.The ease of starting is alot better.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:06 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: What is the advantage of EFI? (patsnitrovette)

Living in Texas I love EFI for the lack of vapor lock. I can also park the car in the garage without the whole place smelling of gas (with a carb the fuel would boil in the bowls after shutdown). Better mileage, although mine didn't double. Driveability. Just jump in, turn the key and go.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:12 PM
73- 454 Monster
Heel & Toe

Default Re: What is the advantage of EFI? (zwede)

Non in an old vette with an old engine. If you start with a new engine and the EFI is installed and tuned by a Pro then you may see a 5% increase in power vs a carb.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:34 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: What is the advantage of EFI? (73- 454 Monster)

:iagree: with Zwede. No more smell. No worries of vapor lock, No flooding.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: What is the advantage of EFI? (Budman78)

They are MANY advantages to EFI. The only thing I rather on a carb set up is it's easier to tuning It's easier to tune a carb or timing and you don't have all the electrical gremlins and senors to worry about. Some EFI setups limit power such as the TPI. They are GREAT fuel injection setups as long as you don't plan on reving the engine past 5,000rpms. Long tubes are great for towque but severlt hinder HP numbers, though this can be helped by a LPE Super Ram, or a Mini ram. I went with the Super Ram manifold and 58mm TB on my '91 C4, world of difference.

Sooner or later I'll swap to EFI on my Big Block.

:cheers: :yesnod:
Old 07-29-2003, 04:47 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Default Re: What is the advantage of EFI? (Corey 68)

You guys forgot the most important part:

No wrenches or greasy fingers needed when tuning!
:cheers: :steering: :cheers:
Old 07-29-2003, 06:02 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What is the advantage of EFI? (patsnitrovette)

i agree with gene totally,i went from 5-8 mpg with a smallish cam to 20 mpg with a bigger cam and a ton more torque.The ease of starting is alot better.
What the heck where you using for a carb??? A couple of midgets with buckets of fuel??? Fuel economy may be an advantage of EFI, granted, but I think if you'd had a carb with a bit more tuning, surely you would have done better than 5-8MPG? That's just crazy talk there!

Edit:
Actually, I did have more to add here. I believe that another advantage of EFI is a more consistent A/F ratio. A carb seems like a series of complex kludges to try to adapt to different engine conditions. EFI will also work much better with a single plane manifold on a street vehicle because of this deficiency in a carb. Really EFI is in many regards more simple than a carb. The main job they both accomplish is delivery of air and fuel to the engine. The EFI unit does this by monitoring the ratio, a carb cannot do that and thus could never be perfect...

[Modified by dath, 5:05 PM 7/29/2003]
Old 07-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What is the advantage of EFI? (ykp53)

Total, 100% adjustability. Both fuel and spark. Changing your spark curve is accomplished with the click of a mouse rather than changing weights/vacuum cans. Ever try to adjust or replace a vacuum advance can? Pain for such a simple part.

With EFI you can give your engine exactly what it needs when it needs it. Carb will get you close but never nail it all the way across the board. Temperature doesn't make it misbehaive either, once you have it set up it acts just like a modern car. I've even heard of people making special fuel maps that are a tad lean at cruising speeds to save gas on the highway. Nice thing is if you wanted to go through the trouble you could make two maps, power and economy and use one on the street and one while racing. No tearing a carb apart to change jets, just a click of a mouse. (Or a press of a button if you go with the Edelbrock system.)

Drivability is probably the number one reason to swap. Torque is a bit nicer but you won't see a huge HP increase over a properly set up carb on a similar manifold.

I'm still in the process of tuning mine and it is a time consuming task but I think it's worth it. My car was not a numbers matching showpiece so I don't feel too guilty about modifying it.

Old 07-29-2003, 08:27 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: What is the advantage of EFI? (Corey 68)

They are MANY advantages to EFI. The only thing I rather on a carb set up is it's easier to tuning It's easier to tune a carb or timing and you don't have all the electrical gremlins and senors to worry about.
and I can't even agree with this reason... think about honestly tuning your carb... you have to have a A/F ratio meter and then go back and forth changing needles, jets, needle clip setting, secondary needles and clip height and then just getting the secondaries to drop open just at the right time. Your not done - still need to cycle through the timing/idle circuit/idle speed loop till you get it just right.

BTW - my Rochester is JUST RIGHT! Carbs still rock when done right!

Get notified of new replies

To What is the advantage of EFI?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the advantage of EFI?