C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing was advanced, car running hotter than before

Old 07-29-2003, 03:45 PM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Timing was advanced, car running hotter than before

I just checked and adjusted the timing on my 72-L-48 and it was set with 41 total advance. I always set it at 38 total advance (at 2600 RPM) and was suprised to find it had changed. Hold down clamp was tight, I have an adjustible light, so it was easy to verify.

Car has been running about 20 degrees hotter than normal for this time of year. Would this cause that much of a temp increase? I also changed the ratio of coolant to about 25 percent coolant. I will drive it tonight and see what the temp is.

Thanks to all who responded, hopefully it is running cooler now. It would reach around 230 on the highway and about 175 at idle.

Old 07-29-2003, 03:57 PM
73- 454 Monster
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Timing was advanced, car running hotter than before (Milest)

If your engine is stock then set the timming to factory specs. Don't try to outsmart the engineers. Poor timming setting will effect the cooling system and many other engine functions. Can't go into specifics here But I will say this I will bet the farm that your engine will run normal once you set your timming to GM spects.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Timing was advanced, car running hotter than before (Milest)

Outer ring on balancer might have slipped so you might not be adv far enough now after adj it but that should show at idle. Are you running the vac adv? It really brought my temp down at cruise when I rehooked it up.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing was advanced, car running hotter than before

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing was advanced, car running hotter than before