C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotor/distributer problems...? please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 01:02 AM
SicChild
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotor/distributer problems...? please help

okay, lately I've been having a few different problems with my car...after playing with a few things and replacing some stuff I think i have it narrowed down. I'm no mechanic though, so let me explain things and see what you all think.

I seem to bad having problems every morning, or rather, the first time I goto start the car each day. Sometimes it won't start at all, or else it'll start but the RPM bounces around and it'll bounce too low and the car will die. The same thing would happen while driving (if it started). I think I've figured out what's causing it, but I don't know how to fix it. There seems to be getting built up mousture on the contact on the top of the rotor. Just the slightest bit of mousture seems to be screwing things up. When the take a distributer cap off, and clean/dry the rotor contact, the car starts/runs pretty much fine until the next time it gets mousture build-up. I've replaced the disitributer cap, but that didn't seem to do anything. What else should I do?
Old 07-29-2003, 01:08 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: rotor/distributer problems...? please help (SicChild)

Replace the rotor.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:17 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Default Re: rotor/distributer problems...? please help (LAvetteman)

Hey Kevin,
Where is the moisture coming from in the first place? Did you recently have the engine pressure washed? If not you shouldn't be getting ANY condensation in there. Try removing the cap and blowing inside the cap and distributor with compressed air until you're sure it's bone dry in there. Then retry.
Good luck, Greg
Old 07-29-2003, 01:25 AM
SicChild
Racer

Default Re: rotor/distributer problems...? please help (LAvetteman)

Replace the rotor.
How would that help? It doesn't seem that the roto is the problem, it seems to be the moisture build-up on the rotor

Hey Kevin,
Where is the moisture coming from in the first place? Did you recently have the engine pressure washed? If not you shouldn't be getting ANY condensation in there. Try removing the cap and blowing inside the cap and distributor with compressed air until you're sure it's bone dry in there. Then retry.
Good luck, Greg
Thanks Greg, I'm not sure where the moisture is coming from. But it seems just the slightest bit is causing problems. I initially thought that old cap might've had a crack, or wasn't sealing correctly so I replaced that, but no luck. I'm sure it gets dry in there because it gets pretty damn hot here. And I only have problems the first time starting it each morning after it rains the night before, or else when there's a lot of humidity. So somewhere it must not be sealing properly?

Would mousture build-up on the rotor be enough to cause the problems mentioned? Or am I totally off-base?
Old 07-29-2003, 01:36 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

No you're not off base Kevin. Moisture in there will cause a "no start" situation. I've seen the same thing down here in the heat, that's why I asked about the engine shampoo. Weve done many of them and found after the car is started the moisture will draw up into the cap. If it's wiped away it's OK for a while until it draws more from the lower part of the distributor. This will happen over and over until it's actually blown out with high compressed air. If yours hasn't been washed lately and you're not driving through HUGE puddles or with no hood in a rain storm, it's very strange that you'd get moisture re-occuring in your distributor. But each time you remove the cap there's a bit of wetness on the rotor? And each time you dry it the car starts right up?
Old 07-29-2003, 03:09 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: rotor/distributer problems...? please help (Greg)

Why dont you just spray your distributor with an inhibitor like WD40? That draws the moisture out and works to prevent moisture getting in. :cheers:
Old 07-29-2003, 08:15 AM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: rotor/distributer problems...? please help (Graemeinvette)

Why dont you just spray your distributor with an inhibitor like WD40? That draws the moisture out and works to prevent moisture getting in. :cheers:
I used di-electric grease. Works everytime. Lubes it and keeps moisture out. :seeya
Old 07-29-2003, 08:23 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure it is water? It is possible to wick oil spray up the shaft if the bushings are worn out. Check what the moisture is next time it happens - it it does.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:52 AM
SicChild
Racer

Default Re: rotor/distributer problems...? please help (bigvette1)

Well it looks like water to me...it's clear, same viscosity, etc...I'll try the air compressor thing and also WD40...thanks for all the help guys..I'll keep you updated.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Robert8096
Instructor

I have this same problem with my El Camino. In the morning sometimes I get no spark. Engine has not been washed in months. Replaced the cap and rotor and still no luck. To get mine going all I have to do is wiggle the cap left to right a few times and then it starts on the first try. Checked all the connections and they are good. I think I will try the wd40 or grease. :mad :rolleyes: :banghead:
Old 07-29-2003, 03:28 PM
SicChild
Racer

Default Re: rotor/distributer problems...? please help (Robert8096)

Well, I just replaced my coil and it everything seems to be good now. It fired right up. We checked the spark, and it was poor, so I replaced the coil and now it's all good. I'm hoping that was the problem all along. I'll keep you guys updated.

Get notified of new replies

To rotor/distributer problems...? please help

Quick Reply: rotor/distributer problems...? please help