C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeg's 8 point roll cage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 11:52 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Jeg's 8 point roll cage?

Jeg's has roll cage for Corvettes 63-82 for $152.00.....Do you have a Jeg's roll cage in your car? Were they pretty much custom fit for your car or will it require major surgery to install?
I'm stripping the interior out so the installer can have full access to all the points.....I'm tempted to order however I don't want to have major surgery gutting out the interior because the parts are not close to custom fit. :flag :seeya Cappy
Old 07-29-2003, 02:11 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Jeg's 8 point roll cage? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

I cant comment on the fit, but I am wondering about the tubing they use. $150 is really inexpensive. I have been pricing tubing and the going rate is about $4/ft for seamless DOM. Be careful about using welded tubing. It is not nearly as strong as seamless and usually won't pass tech inpection.

Chris
Old 07-29-2003, 03:10 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Jeg's 8 point roll cage? (71roadster)

chris alston chassis works also offers the roll cages (maybe they're the same?) I've been trying to get one but am looking for an economical means to ship it.

Marck
Old 07-29-2003, 03:14 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

I installed the Jegs 4pt in my car. It is DOM bars. The bars come all separate with the main hoop prebent. You need to trim the bars to fit to your car as you assemble it. You will also need to cut thru the floor to have access to the top of the frame rails. I 1st welded plates to the frame at the attach points, then welded to bars to the plates for a bit more strength where it attaches ;) .

I have a couple pics on my site from the install :)
Old 07-30-2003, 12:45 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Jeg's 8 point roll cage? (SmokedTires)

Thanks for the info SmokedTires,
Looks like a lot of work installing cage...
BTW....I really like the work you've done on your Vette...enjoyed your web page too. How much longer before you have that 388 ci assembled and installed?....600 HP is a good target for max HP.
Gkull is coming over in Sept to help me put together a small block 427 ci....I don't think we'll be putting out your kind of numbers though... :flag :seeya Cappy
Old 07-30-2003, 04:54 AM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a roll cage for you today. 8K - comes with 9 sec car.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=616348
Old 07-30-2003, 07:02 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Thanks Cappy :) .

The rollbar install wasn't too bad, but I've also done everyting else on my car on my own. I'd say the TKO install was my work for me :lol: . If you take your time installing the rollcage it should go pretty good. Once you have the basic 4pt install, it's not much to add on later if you need/ want to. GKull has a really sweet cage installed in his car.

Being realistic, I don't think I'll have the 388 installed to drive this year. I've just about made up my mind to assemble bit myself, I've done everything but put my own engine together. Should be really fun when I get it done. I just recieved my Holey Commander ECU back yesterday from Holley, I had the Race Version upgrade added to it :) .

Maybe when George is finished with your 427 he can stop by & give me a hand too :crazy: . I would have loved to go with a 427/ 434 but I got such a great deal on the crank that it's the reason for the 388 final displacement, unless I bore the block and go up to a 396 :rolleyes:
Old 07-30-2003, 01:39 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Default Re: Jeg's 8 point roll cage? (Maurice)

I found a roll cage for you today. 8K - comes with 9 sec car.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=616348
Pictures.....I want PICTURES..... :hurray: :flag :seeya Cappy
Old 07-30-2003, 01:43 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Thanks Cappy :) .

The rollbar install wasn't too bad, but I've also done everyting else on my car on my own. I'd say the TKO install was my work for me :lol: . If you take your time installing the rollcage it should go pretty good. Once you have the basic 4pt install, it's not much to add on later if you need/ want to. GKull has a really sweet cage installed in his car.

Being realistic, I don't think I'll have the 388 installed to drive this year. I've just about made up my mind to assemble bit myself, I've done everything but put my own engine together. Should be really fun when I get it done. I just recieved my Holey Commander ECU back yesterday from Holley, I had the Race Version upgrade added to it :) .

Maybe when George is finished with your 427 he can stop by & give me a hand too :crazy: . I would have loved to go with a 427/ 434 but I got such a great deal on the crank that it's the reason for the 388 final displacement, unless I bore the block and go up to a 396 :rolleyes:
I was real close to getting the 434 ci or the 434 ci....The cost was about the same $11,000.00 to Hawaii.....A few people talked me out of it. :flag :seeya Cappy
Old 07-30-2003, 06:09 PM
Restorer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the cage kit come with templates where exactly to cut the holes in the floor? Will the t-top latches etc. still work? Do you need to make "nothches" to any interior plastic? Would you go with the same kit again?
Thank you much!
Old 07-31-2003, 06:55 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Jeg's 8 point roll cage? (Restorer)

Cappy I just recieved my new Hot Rod mag yesterday and they have the Bill Mitchell 454 sbc installed in a 3300lb Nova that ran 7's in the 1/8 mile before they had to leave because of lack of safety equipment :D .

Restorer- No it doesn't come with any templates for mounting. I cut a long rectangular hole over the frame rails in the floor to allow me to position the bars to where I felt they should be.
Being that I only have the 4pt, everything is behind the seats so I have no issues with the t-top latches, GKull could comment better on this on since he has a full cage installed in his car.
I didn't have to notch any interior plastic, but did have to place the ceiling panels in place before final attachment to the frame because of how tight I ran the bar to the ceiling otherwise I wouldn't get them in afterwards. I did check with the side panels before hand & was able to slide them into place with the bar installed. I can also remove/ install my rear window with the bar in place as it was removed during the install and replaced afterwards ;) .
All in all, if I were to install another rollbar, then yes I would go with the same kit again as it's priced very well. If I was paying someone else, then maybe it wouldn't matter much. The nice thing about the Jegs kit is that it's DOM and the bars are thick enough to pass racing sanction regulations ;) .
Old 07-31-2003, 09:04 AM
Restorer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smoked Tires,
Thank you for the info. I was thinking 10-point when I asked the t-top question because 10-point is what I would like to get. (I'd really like 12-point, but I don't know how much of the dash can stay with that arrangement? I noticed it says that 4&8-point are 1-3/4x.134 tubing and 10&12-point are slighly smaller OD 1-5/8x.134 tubing. Will that OD still pass tech? I guess yes, since it says 8,10&12-pt exceed NHRA and IHRA? Could one make the cage so that you can still lift the body off the frame by welding shorter pieces of slighly larger tubing to the frame and having the actual cage slide in and connnect with pins or something? Could that still pass tech? Would have to cut otherwise if ever wanted to lift body off. Is there much weight penalty over chrome moly cage? Chrome moly cage cost much more? Do welds have to be very nice to pass tech, or OK looking welds good enough? I will use MIG, not TIG.
Thank you much!
Old 07-31-2003, 01:42 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Thanks SmokedTires,
I'm on my way to the store to pick up a copy of that Magazine right now....I'm sure that solid axle Nova could handle that sort of HP...Not sure if Vette can handle that....I just received my Forged Internally Balanced 427 ci Rotating Assembly from Bill Mitchell.....Wow, two days to Hawaii.....I'm pulling 415 ci engine and changing to 427 rotating assembly with some other secret weapon go fast stuff.... I'll give you guys a heads up when she's done. :flag :seeya Cappy

Get notified of new replies

To Jeg's 8 point roll cage?

Quick Reply: Jeg's 8 point roll cage?