C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasket between block and intake manifold...do you guys use it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 08:04 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasket between block and intake manifold...do you guys use it?

Hey guys...Im having some problems with my new motor. We had some problems with the intake manifold sealing properly and I think its still an issue. Im just curious if you guys use the little cork gaskets that always come with intakes or not. The guy who was helping me out said "nobody uses em anymore" but I wonder how right he is.

Thanks guys
Old 07-28-2003, 08:15 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Gasket between block and intake manifold...do you guys use it? (joshs78sleeper)

yep hes right ,gm even supplies black silicone instead of gaskets,i use only permatex brand ultra copper i swear by the stuff for everything.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:21 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: Gasket between block and intake manifold...do you guys use it? (joshs78sleeper)

I would not use a cheap gasket, get a good and you should be fine. I used a fel-pro and it worked fine.

:cheers:
Old 07-28-2003, 08:34 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Gasket between block and intake manifold...do you guys use it? (77Dream)

The guy is right on. Toss them and use any of the Permatex Ultra colors on the valley ends. I also use the copper as it is close to Chevy orange.

[Modified by Bob Blackmon, 5:35 PM 7/28/2003]
Old 07-28-2003, 08:51 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Use a nice bead (1/4 to 3/8") on both ends with a little extra on the tabs of the manifold to head gasket. As mentioned the permatex ultra is the way to go - you choose the color. Use a steady hand while putting it on as you want one continuous bead. Let it skin just a bit before setting the manifold. If you did it right you should get just some extruding out each end but not running down the block.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:31 PM
O'Shark
Le Mans Master

I just installed a new Edelbrock Performer EPS intake maybe 3 weeks ago. The instructions said to NOT use the end gaskets but to use a Permatex type product (and how much of it) instead. I used Permatex #2 on mine. It has been perfect so far but time will tell.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

No gasket just clean both surfaces and silicone will work better and longer than those stupid gaskets.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:52 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Gasket between block and intake manifold...do you guys use it? (Love My 72 and 77)

What they said. But whatever you do, don't use both the silicone and the gasket--the silicone just acts as a lube and the gasket squirts out when you torque down the manifold.

JB
Old 07-29-2003, 06:41 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I just did this one. Discard the rubber end gaskets. Use Permatex Copper. On intake bolts use non-hardening Permatex 2. I used FelPro intake gaskets with sealer molded into the gasket itself (water passages).

Old 07-29-2003, 08:37 AM
Tominator
Drifting

On the Hot Rod show they said the gasket will blow out sooner or later so don't use it. I also spoke to a tech at edelbrock and he said not to use the gaskets.

By the way are you suppost to let the permatex dry for a day before starting the engine??
Old 07-29-2003, 11:01 AM
Weird Science
Instructor

Default Re: Gasket between block and intake manifold...do you guys use it? (Tominator)

On the Hot Rod show they said the gasket will blow out sooner or later so don't use it. I also spoke to a tech at edelbrock and he said not to use the gaskets.

By the way are you suppost to let the permatex dry for a day before starting the engine??
I dont know what your 'supposed' to do, but I have done this several times and just started the engine up within a couple hours and never had any issues.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

when you don't use gaskets it is a good idea to plug the oil filter bypass so all oil gets filtered. Silicone is very effective at blocking oil flow to bearings. :smash:
Old 07-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like the rest said. When the new sealers came out I quit using them.

Hans

Get notified of new replies

To Gasket between block and intake manifold...do you guys use it?

Quick Reply: Gasket between block and intake manifold...do you guys use it?