C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fan Toggle Switch Hookup

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 07:51 PM
CORKYVET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Fan Toggle Switch Hookup

I wish to install the Perma-Cool 16" fan operated by the 30 amp Perma-Cool toggle switch. Can I run the wire from the 12v source ( alternator or starter ) to the switch in the cabin and then back to the fan? I understand relay is not required with high amp switch. I may need a fuse though. Please advise this will work okay. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:42 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Electric Fan Toggle Switch Hookup (CORKYVET)

Yes you can if you like. I would not. The problem is finding switched power that will handle the 15 or so amps the fan will draw and not overload the circuit you are tied into. I would run a relay and power the fan off the battery and the control from a switched source.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:43 PM
CORKYVET
Instructor

Okay, Mr. Blackmon. Your way sounds good, but please give a little more detail on hookup. What type of relay do I buy? Do I run a hot wire from the fuse box to my switch and then to one of the relay"s post? Another relay post hook's to the fan positive wire. Another post hook's to battery. Is this coorect? Thanks for your advice.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:11 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Corkey, go to most any automotive store, NAPA for sure, and get a 30 amp 12vdc relay and scocket. Most automotive relays have a N/O and N/C switch. You will only use the N/O. Look at the picture on the side. Attach a hot (+) from the starter to one side of the N/O switch. Attach the hot to your fan to the other side. Ground your fan where the headlights are grounded. There is a spade terminal on the fuse box marked "IGN" run a wire from this terminal through your switch to the hot side of the relay coil, ground the other side. That's it.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:17 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Electric Fan Toggle Switch Hookup (Bob Blackmon)

There is a spade terminal on the fuse box marked "IGN" run a wire from this terminal through your switch to the hot side of the relay coil, ground the other side. That's it.
Wouldn't the accessory spade be better? That way the fans and starter don't power at the same time?

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Fan Toggle Switch Hookup

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Toggle Switch Hookup