C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

don't you just hate sagging door handles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 07:05 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default don't you just hate sagging door handles?

after opening the driver's side door so much, the door handle has started to droop :( but the passenger side still looks great :yesnod:
Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

Has anyone tried the door handle springs from ecklers, mad, cc, etc.? http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...N0SM2EPKN82A2F

they come with a 90 day warranty, and are supposed to be easy to install, although the instructions are a little confusing :confused:

[Modified by corvettemaster, 7:06 PM 7/28/2003]
Old 07-28-2003, 07:22 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: don't you just hate sagging door handles? (corvettemaster)

I think I have the sister to that droopy door handle on my '74(driver's side of course). Have you taken your door panel off and looked at what is in the way to get to unbolting that handle? I'm sure it is possible to do, but it didn't look like alot of fun.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:37 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: don't you just hate sagging door handles? (bgrice)

There is a repair spring for this problem. Check Eckler's or ZIP. Not a stock part but a good fix. If you do replace the handle, get the good ons. The cheap imports don't last long or fit very good.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: don't you just hate sagging door handles? (bluevetteman)

Same here guys. I am just going to replace both of the door handles with the correct GM replacements. I have seen the import pieces and they are about half the price but I don't want to have to do this but one time while the car is mine.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:27 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Default Re: don't you just hate sagging door handles? (bluevetteman)

There is a repair spring for this problem. Check Eckler's or ZIP. Not a stock part but a good fix. If you do replace the handle, get the good ons. The cheap imports don't last long or fit very good.
I posted the link to the Eckler's springs that supposedly fix it in seconds without taking the door panel off, or with any tools. they have a 90 day warranty and only cost $7.99 each
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...N0SM2EPKN82A2F
Old 07-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

So... are you going to be the guinea pig? That 90 day guarantee just doesn't sit right with me and the PDF saying you needed to oil it regularly is puzzling. I've never/ever oiled my handle.

Maybe that's why it droops?

Wait a minute! This response is starting to sound *X* rated.

Never mind! :D
Old 07-29-2003, 06:27 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

I have the repair spring from Ecklers in my drivers door on my 78. It didn't do a thing! it still sags, I didn't see any difference at all. There is a trick to putting them in without breaking them too. Follow the directions to the letter or you'll snap it. GOOD LUCK! :cheers:
Old 07-29-2003, 08:14 AM
PB82CE
Pro

Default Re: don't you just hate sagging door handles? (guppie)

I bought a few of those damn springs as well.
I could never figure out how to install them :rolleyes:
Does anyone have the secret?? If so, please post here.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:44 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: don't you just hate sagging door handles? (PB82CE)

I used one of the springs from Ecklers in my drivers side handle over three years ago. It still works fine. I seem to remember it was very easy to install. Just carefully fold the spring and slide it between the handle and base. I fits over the back part of the hinge, if I remember correctly.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Tom T
Burning Brakes

Default Re: don't you just hate sagging door handles? (PB82CE)

same here....

How & what angle do you insert those springs? I know it's not a long-term
fix, but it would be nice to lift my sagging handle before I get to replacing it
with an OEM replacement.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:31 AM
SAC
Instructor

Alright I'll fess up. Yes I used one. Mine passenger side looked exactly like your picture. The spring worked like a charm. They provide good instructions and it wasn't very hard to install.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:18 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Default Re: don't you just hate sagging door handles? (SAC)

Alright I'll fess up. Yes I used one. Mine passenger side looked exactly like your picture. The spring worked like a charm. They provide good instructions and it wasn't very hard to install.
so they worked for you? like stated above, ecklers has instructions on their site in .pdf format. but to me they are a little confusing. and looking at my door handle, i see no way to put one of those springs in without taking the door handle apart or something...could you give us a little better instructions?
Old 07-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

i just replaced the driver's side handle... not fun but the best fix... the springs are a stop gap fix at best... ifyou do change the handle, the best advice i can impart is to have patience, and to take the lower access plate off to reach in... you can only get to so much of the handle nuts thru the small hole by it...
Old 07-29-2003, 04:14 PM
SAC
Instructor

so they worked for you? like stated above, ecklers has instructions on their site in .pdf format. but to me they are a little confusing. and looking at my door handle, i see no way to put one of those springs in without taking the door handle apart or something...could you give us a little better instructions?
Yeah, after reading those instructions I see they suck. When I ordered mine they came with additional instructions other than those. Let me see if I remember. To install, you squeeze the door handle fully in. Pinch the new spring together and slip it in between the handle and the outside of the door. It basically covers the old spring. No disassembly at all. I too had heard bad things about it, but mine works like a charm. I figured for the price of lunch (I'm a big eater) it was worth a shot. Good luck. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To don't you just hate sagging door handles?

Quick Reply: don't you just hate sagging door handles?