C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous plate question (and engine pics as a reward)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 03:27 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nitrous plate question (and engine pics as a reward)

Okay, I was looking at the nitrous injection plate setup on my new engine with a friend and he asked a question that I hadn't really considered while I was explaining the dual plane manifold and carb setup... The injection plate I have looks to direct nitrous flow one way and fuel flow the other. Am I missing something, or like my friend asked, won't this result in feeding half the cylinders with nitrous and the other with added fuel? Here's a pic of one side. The arrows point to several of the feed holes on one tube, the other tube has holes pointing in the opposite direction (toward the other plane in the manifold).

Or does each tube contain a mixture of fuel and nitrous before it ejects from the holes? Sorry for the silly question, just want to make sure that nothing evil happens when I get around to firing up the nitrous system...

Oh yeah, here's the picture of my AR engine with the plastic off and with a few little accessories sitting on it (carb, dist, and thermostat housing):

I hope to have the engine in the car and running within the next couple of weeks. This project just keeps pushing out due to my other project (building a shed) taking much longer than I was hoping... Maybe I'll post some pictures of my shed here once it's done as well:D

Thanks in advance for any help!
-dath

[Modified by dath, 2:30 PM 7/28/2003]
Old 07-28-2003, 03:39 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Nitrous plate question (dath)

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have another concern.

Shouldn't the NOS plate match the intake manifold a little better ? That looks like a poor fit around the edges. I would be tempted to port match the two of them to cut down on the obstructions.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:49 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Nitrous plate question (dath)

Normally nitrous flows out of one tube and gas out of the other. Also both tubes have holes in both sides. Take a water line and flow it to see the pattern. Put a piece of hose over one of the tube ends and the other end on a water tap and try it.
It wouldn't work spraying nitrous one direction and gas the other.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:59 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Nitrous plate question (norvalwilhelm)

BSeery: I'm not sure if it is an issue or not having it partially obstruct the intake. I suppose it probably couldn't hurt to port match them. Any recommendation on how to do that? Is it okay to do that with a metal file and copious amounts of spare time?

Norval: I swear I didn't see any other holes, though I didn't have a magnifying glass down there to be certain. I'll try your suggestion of pushing some water through it to see what the flow looks like. This is definitely a learning process for me and I like to understand how things work before using them. Any idea about BSeery's suggestion to port match the two? Good idea or not?

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Nitrous plate question (and engine pics as a reward)

Quick Reply: Nitrous plate question (and engine pics as a reward)