C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 runs hot---waterpump??

Old 07-28-2003, 12:39 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Default 79 runs hot---waterpump??

My 79 runs about 225 degrees max , but with the thermostat removed. I replaced the rad, some hoses, fluid a few times, fan clutch. The only thing I didn't replace was the water pump. I did notice a little bit of water from the weep hole, but only a very little and there is no play in the shaft of the pump. Currently, the foam pieces are at the sides of the rad like they should be. There is no condenser in front of the rad. The car did run a little cooler when I removed the new 160 degree thermo. The temp sender is currently in the stock position in the block. The sender has also been replaced.....Do ya think a new water pump can solve this problem????
Old 07-28-2003, 01:04 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 79 runs hot---waterpump?? (tabbruzz)

It couldn't hurt to try a high-flow water pump. They are not too expensive and are realativly easy too replace. If you are getting a few drips from the weep hole then it will only get worse as time goes on. Might as well change it now.

:cheers:
Old 07-28-2003, 02:33 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Default Re: 79 runs hot---waterpump?? (77Dream)

I actually bought a new Bosch water pump, but haven't installed it yet. I hope this one is decent......
Old 07-28-2003, 02:34 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 79 runs hot---waterpump?? (77Dream)

I think there are more things at work here. You may want to search archives as this is a frequent topic. I wouldn't run without a thermostat either, I buy the argument that the water races through the rad too quickly which doesn't help the efficiency. Sounds like you've looked at or replaced many items. Check your fuel mixture (make sure it isn't running lean) and also your timing. Missing/incorrect or improperly hooked up vac. advance. If any of these are "off", any cooling system will struggle to keep up. Unless your car is modded, a stock fan, stock water pump, stock rad, stock thermostat should be up to the job of cooling it.

You may want to be very specific about exactly when your car runs the hottest and when it cools down, ie. in traffic, at highway speeds? This helps pinpoint the problem.

Old 07-28-2003, 02:41 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with 68shark. A drip from the weep hole is only a matter of time to failure. However, check the timing, the mixture, vacuum line hookup, fan clutch etc. Also, did you replace the temp sensor recently. If so, the aftermarket can be 20 degrees off. Get a temp gun and see what you are running at. Also, it is the 220 or so at idle, in traffic, cruising etc.???
Old 07-28-2003, 02:58 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From a guy that seems to be removing a thermostat every other day it difinitely runs cooler without a thermostat. My problem is I want to run a thermostat but every time I watch the gage climb to 200 degrees and both electric fans are needed I pull it back out. Without a thermostat the car sits at 160 degrees with ONE fan turned on and one just along for the ride. 160 is too cool and 200 is too hot with a 180 degree thermostat in place. This past weekend I also installed a switch/relay on the other fan to turn it off also. What I want is about 190 and not have to use 2 16 inch fans to keep it there.
I recommend thermostats but for me with my blower motor running WITHOUT works alot better.
I also have temperature gages is both heads and without a thermostat both heads seem to maintain the same temperature. With a thermostat one head takes longer to cool down after heat soak then the other.
So while I don't want to run without a thermostat I am forced to.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:08 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Default Re: 79 runs hot---waterpump?? (68shark)

I think there are more things at work here. You may want to search archives as this is a frequent topic. I wouldn't run without a thermostat either, I buy the argument that the water races through the rad too quickly which doesn't help the efficiency. Sounds like you've looked at or replaced many items. Check your fuel mixture (make sure it isn't running lean) and also your timing. Missing/incorrect or improperly hooked up vac. advance. If any of these are "off", any cooling system will struggle to keep up. Unless your car is modded, a stock fan, stock water pump, stock rad, stock thermostat should be up to the job of cooling it.

You may want to be very specific about exactly when your car runs the hottest and when it cools down, ie. in traffic, at highway speeds? This helps pinpoint the problem.
It seems to run hotter at higher speeds. It will also creep up in temp at idle. I tried to see if the car runs better with the vac advance disconnected and connected and seem to have the same results. It does run cooler on cooler days, which is expected. I would say removing the 160 thermo cooled it off about 20 degrees. I usually turn on the heat full blast to cool it down when it approachs 220. This is not fun in 90 degree weather.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:37 PM
chewy
Racer

If it runs cooler without a thermostate I would say you have a flow problem somewhere. Like has been said normally the water will flow too fast for the radiator to transfer heat if the thermostate is removed. I have come across water pumps that had so much wear on the fins that they really didn't push any water. I am not a fan of trick water pumps they usually aren't needed but if you have one give it a try.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:46 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Default Re: 79 runs hot---waterpump?? (chewy)

If it runs cooler without a thermostate I would say you have a flow problem somewhere. Like has been said normally the water will flow too fast for the radiator to transfer heat if the thermostate is removed. I have come across water pumps that had so much wear on the fins that they really didn't push any water. I am not a fan of trick water pumps they usually aren't needed but if you have one give it a try.
Actually, I bought the Bosch water pump new from Pep-boys. It's a stock replacement. If this doesn't help then I will have to buy an autometer temp gauge to rule out the stock sender or gauge.....
Old 07-28-2003, 04:31 PM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use a thermostat and you may want to try some water wetter.
Waterpump is easy to replace. :seeya
Old 07-28-2003, 04:34 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Distalled water, rather than tap water, dropped my temps alomost 20 degrees when used with a minimun amount of anti-freeze instead of the time honored 50/50 mix.

Get notified of new replies

To 79 runs hot---waterpump??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 79 runs hot---waterpump??