C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough, Tough question - Seasoned C3 Owners needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 10:01 AM
KSullender
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tough, Tough question - Seasoned C3 Owners needed

I have a 1971 with A/C. My problem is the battery is being drained. I have isolated it to one of two relays that are mounted on the passenger side, interior heater box under the dash. It is the anti dieseling relay. The orange wire coming out of it always has 'juice' on it even when the ignition is off.

Your help with this tough one is appreciated.

Ken
Old 07-28-2003, 10:25 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Tough, Tough question - Seasoned C3 Owners needed (KSullender)

Ken
Are you sure it's not supposed to have juice all the time. If it's for the anti-dieseling relay it would have to be active when the car is shut off hence the reason it's hot all the time. Other than this question I can't help much but I would research this a little more before assuming that the relay is the problem. Have you tried to take out one fuse at a time to isolate the source of the drain?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:34 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tough, Tough question - Seasoned C3 Owners needed (vettfixr)

Do you have a official 71 vette shop manual...it should say something bout operation of this relay in there..if not, maybe one of the 71 guys can look it up in thier manual for you...need some help here guys..thanks!
Old 07-28-2003, 12:38 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tough, Tough question - Seasoned C3 Owners needed (vettfixr)

Ken
Are you sure it's not supposed to have juice all the time. If it's for the anti-dieseling relay it would have to be active when the car is shut off hence the reason it's hot all the time. Other than this question I can't help much but I would research this a little more before assuming that the relay is the problem. Have you tried to take out one fuse at a time to isolate the source of the drain?
:iagree:

Or, take one fuse out, put your electrical tester to "amps" complete the circuit using the gauge and see if you get any flow. If not, go on to the next one. This will at least identify the circuit, then use your wiring diagram to further isolate the problem. --Make sure you have extra fuses for your tester in case you have a boo-boo.

--marc
Old 07-28-2003, 01:26 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Tough, Tough question - Seasoned C3 Owners needed (KSullender)

Voltage is not indicative of current flow. You need an amp meter to verify what circuit is drawing current after the car is off.

Get notified of new replies

To Tough, Tough question - Seasoned C3 Owners needed

Quick Reply: Tough, Tough question - Seasoned C3 Owners needed