C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't push car backwards - Why??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 08:32 AM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't push car backwards - Why??????

I'm having trouble moving the car backwards. I had originally thought this was the fault of the tranny, but the motor and trans are out of the car now, and the problem is still there. I can easily push the car forward, but backwards, I typically get 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the wheels before I have resistance. This problem was not the case when I first got the car, as we rolled it off the trailer backwards with no problem. The E-brake cable is disconnected in prep for body separation.

Any thoughts? I can't figure what would allow smooth motion forward, but resistance and eventual lock-up going backwards... Thanks in advance!
Old 07-28-2003, 09:13 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can't push car backwards - Why?????? (75 BBC Stingray)

It sounds like the E brake brakeshoes that are giving you grief.My old Volvo does that sometimes and its beacause the shoes move around in the drum and lock up against the drum. :smash: :smash: :cheers:
Old 07-28-2003, 09:15 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

It sounds like your e-brake shoes are catching. I know that you said that you have it disconnected, but the shoes may still be keeping it from going backwards. If you can get to it, you can try adjusting the shoes all the way in.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:07 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can't push car backwards - Why?????? (79VetteMike)

This happened to me and it was the E-brakes. The shoes moved out a little and somehow bacame binded up and pretty much self destructed. I had to get a flatbed as I was stranded in a parking lot 25 miles from home.

Once I got home, I removed the drivers side rear disc and the E-brake hardware fell to the ground all distorted-nice deal. I went over to the passenger side and removed the rear disc and the hardware there was in perfect shape. Needless to say, now I have removed all E-brake hardware so this will never happen again.

Its really not a problem since I have an automatic. I just dont park on any steep hills.

Brent...
Old 07-28-2003, 12:06 PM
SAC
Instructor

When I push my car back out of the garage sometimes the e brakes hang a little making it hard to push. I bounce the rear end up and down and they release.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:22 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Default Re: Can't push car backwards - Why?????? (SAC)

Thanks for the responses. I'll check out the e-brake hardware next.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't push car backwards - Why??????

Quick Reply: Can't push car backwards - Why??????