C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! RR wheel is making loud sort of grinding noises!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 12:36 AM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Help! RR wheel is making loud sort of grinding noises!

When I drive now it makes sort of a rubbing, grating sound, but not all the time. It's kind of inconsistent, sometimes when I turn it goes away and sometimes it'll go away while I'm driving straight. Could it be time to replace the bearings? If so, how do I check them? I've heard they're really hard to work with. Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2003, 02:15 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Help! RR wheel is making loud sort of grinding noises! (Buffalo Dude)

Give Van Steel a call, they should help you sort out the problem.

If necessary to do wheel bearings/rebuild trailing arms, they are an excellent choice. They did a great job on my TArms.

A link to their web site is on the left of this page.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:01 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help! RR wheel is making loud sort of grinding noises! (Buffalo Dude)

If it's only making the noise on turns it could be your posi clutches in your diff. If you change the fluid, add a bottle of posi additive to the new fluid. Taking the car to a parking lot and running it in circles both directions will help work the stuff into the clutches. This is a cheap and easy way to start the process of elimination.

Otherwise, it's probably your rear wheel bearings which are kind of a bitch to replace on these cars.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:36 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

It could be a couple of things. You should jack the car up and support it on jack stands. Check for movement in the rear wheel by grapping it and rocking it. Look at the differential side yokes for wear.
It could be a parking brake hanging up,rear ebaring going bad,U joint, or differential yoke wear. The 75 I'm working on now had no noise but when I took it apart found osmeone had "rebuilt" the bearings(with a torch), the yokes were worn down to the snap ring,the parking brakes were hung up because Bubba used a sheetmetal screw to hold the springs,and the U joints were the orignals.
Look over the car carefully hopefully you won't find a big problem.
Good luck,
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Help! RR wheel is making loud sort of grinding noises!

Quick Reply: Help! RR wheel is making loud sort of grinding noises!