C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part dropped out wheli working on car anyone know what this is ?

Old 07-27-2003, 08:27 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Part dropped out wheli working on car anyone know what this is ?

This part dropped out when I was hammering on the tie rod end to separate it, anyone know what it is amd where it goes ?

I am trying to have no parts left over when I finish this job for a change :lol:

[Modified by MotorHead, 7:33 PM 7/27/2003]
Old 07-27-2003, 08:35 PM
mfendley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Part dropped out wheli working on car anyone know what this is ? (MotorHead)

It's a shim used when aligning the car. Look at how the control arms bolt up, and you'll probably see more of them.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:35 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Part dropped out wheli working on car anyone know what this is ? (MotorHead)

It's a shim for setting caster and camber. It is from between the frame and cross shaft on the A arm. Just check the spacing between the A arm and the frame to see if it fell out of the front or back. If there is another one it will be loose. Reinstall that shim and tighten the nut.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:42 PM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

Default Re: Part dropped out wheli working on car anyone know what this is ? (norvalwilhelm)

It's a shim for setting caster and camber. It is from between the frame and cross shaft on the A arm. Just check the spacing between the A arm and the frame to see if it fell out of the front or back. If there is another one it will be loose. Reinstall that shim and tighten the nut.
:yesnod:
Old 07-27-2003, 08:51 PM
arrio76
Instructor

yes, its an alignment shim. likely it has been sitting around, laying up in some crevis where the last alignment shop mechanic dropped it and couldn't find it. All that hammering on the suspension probobly knocked out of its hiding place. But check to be sure though. Wouldn't want your front end end falling off the car. :lol:

[Modified by arrio76, 7:53 PM 7/27/2003]
Old 07-27-2003, 09:14 PM
vincevette
Advanced

Default Re: Part dropped out wheli working on car anyone know what this is ? (norvalwilhelm)

:iagree:
Old 07-27-2003, 09:27 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Part dropped out wheli working on car anyone know what this is ? (arrio76)

You guys are the greatest, thanks :D

...and yes I did have the bushings in the a arms replaced recently, one of the few jobs I did not want to do :eek:

[Modified by MotorHead, 8:29 PM 7/27/2003]
Old 07-27-2003, 11:19 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

everytime i go into my engine bay i find something new....a bolt, a nut or a some tool. :D
Old 07-28-2003, 01:27 PM
Blankman
Advanced

Default Re: Part dropped out wheli working on car anyone know what this is ? (munday)

I find my headers eat a lot of stuff. Whenever I drop anything, be it a tool or a bolt or whatever, it always seems to end up stuck between a couple of the header pipes. Not a big deal if the car's been sitting for awhile, not so good if you just got back from a test drive and are adjusting something!!
Old 07-28-2003, 06:12 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Re: Part dropped out wheli working on car anyone know what this is ? (mfendley)

It's a shim used when aligning the car. Look at how the control arms bolt up, and you'll probably see more of them.
:iagree:
Old 07-28-2003, 06:27 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Part dropped out wheli working on car anyone know what this is ? (munday)

everytime i go into my engine bay i find something new....a bolt, a nut or a some tool. :D
Usually the only tool I find working on my car is me !

Get notified of new replies

To Part dropped out wheli working on car anyone know what this is ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Part dropped out wheli working on car anyone know what this is ?