C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRAT! No Cam for me....now I need a compressor.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 07:48 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default DRAT! No Cam for me....now I need a compressor.

Funny how these cars can keep you on your toes. I recurved my distributor since the last Corvette Challenge and had been to an 1/8 mile track for a few runs. Times were slower but was hoping it was the track (ya right!)

My 1/4 mile times are now .3 seconds slower and the 1/8 mile times matched the other track. At least I know I can count on that 1/8 mile track for test and tune runs, which is nice because it's only about 40 miles from the house.

I've been wanting to put a cam in the car, but on the way home from the Corvette Challenge I heard a noise, then a screech and I immediately shut off the A/C. The compressor had been getting a little louder recently so I knew what it was.
I checked it out when I got home and comfirmed it was locked up. I am amazed that at 3500 rpm, the belt didn't break or even roll over. Gotta love those Dayco Topcogs!
Old 07-27-2003, 09:01 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DRAT! No Cam for me....now I need a compressor. (isosceles)

Compressors are cheap. R12 is not!!!

Good luck :cheers:
Old 07-28-2003, 10:43 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Default Re: DRAT! No Cam for me....now I need a compressor. (page62)

I already converted to R134a. On the bright side, the hi pressure has always been a little low and the system didn't cool the way I would like in the FL sun. Cloudy days were OK, but that sun shining through the glass tops means the A/C needs to be in top shape. I hope a new compressor wil remedy that.

I've got a vac pump and guages. Just picked up a rebuild unit from Advanced with a new accumulator and orafice tube. Now I'm searching for a way to flush the system.

[Modified by isosceles, 9:43 AM 7/28/2003]
Old 07-29-2003, 08:25 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Default Re: DRAT! No Cam for me....now I need a compressor. (isosceles)

:hurray: Woohoo! I found a compressor in stock at Advance Auto Parts!
This forum saved me SO much time yesterday during the install. Previously when I changed the accumuator when I first got the car, it was a nightmare. No room to work in the location where it is installed. Then yesterday I was searching and reading articles on compressor replacement and one member (wish I could remember who) mentioned pulling a panel off the bottom of the car to gain eaiser access to the accumulator. WOW did it ever make that job eaiser :D . I had the whole thing replaced, evacuated for 1/2 hour and rechaged in just under 3.5 hours, with no air tools. I also replaced the coolant recovery tank since I had the A/C system apart, so now I can remove my infamous DUBBA BUBBA replacement aftermarket tank.
I haven't measure the temps from the vents yet, but it is colder than it has ever been and the head pressures are actually reading at levels where they are supposed to, unlike the old compressor.

Get notified of new replies

To DRAT! No Cam for me....now I need a compressor.

Quick Reply: DRAT! No Cam for me....now I need a compressor.