C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alcohol in gasoline for emmissions testing

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default alcohol in gasoline for emmissions testing

Just passed my first emmission test without any problem. Ft. Bend county in Texas in now a part of the emmission testing process. Glad I had no problems.

What is the deal with "flushing" your engine with some alcohol in the gasoline tank before the testing. Was talking with the inspector and he said you run a tank of premium gasoline with some (how much?) alcohol (rubbing alcohol?) and then fill up with premium again and come in for the test - if you are having a problem.

Is this right? Would it help to clean the engine at other times?
Old 07-27-2003, 09:11 PM
vette_c5c6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: alcohol in gasoline for emmissions testing (Larry82)

Why not just go to any Sunoco stations they already have at least 10% of alcohol by volume. Much better way they trying to pull a Bubba by mixing your own. Even better Idea move to Canada no emission test on cars over 20 years :auto:
Old 07-27-2003, 10:04 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: alcohol in gasoline for emmissions testing (vette_c5c6)

Not here in BC. I'm going to through aircare tomorow and i will be using the "guaranteed to pass" stuff to get me through it.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:54 AM
Enkil
Instructor

Alcohol is somewhat of a cheater. The more alcohol you're burning, the less gasoline you're burning, which means less hydrocarbons will be put out.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:23 AM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: alcohol in gasoline for emmissions testing (Enkil)

i failed the first time thru- not because i have no converter(there wasnt one in 73) but bec of my cam and the low idle650-700 rpm's- i was putting out too many hydrocarbons- i kicked up the idle to 1150 and went thru the second time-my hydrocarbons were cut in half-------- so last month i got the notice for testing once again-----this time while waiting in line i kicked up the idle again to 1150 and passed with flying colors
Old 07-28-2003, 09:22 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: alcohol in gasoline for emmissions testing (carl a)

Methanol - which can be purchased at chemical supplys or race fuel places for @ $2.00 per gallon. Can be blended to about 25 percent. 3 gallons of gas and 1 gallon of meth. It will really lean out your A/F mixture for the test.

You would need to run your tank nearly dry and put in the blend. Then drive straight to the test station. As soon as your done go put in another 5-6 gallons of gas and run your tank nearly dry and fill it up with pure gas.

Methanol absorbs water out of the air and has corrosive properties to aluminum in it's pure form over time. So it's best to just run it through. I used to run it all the time as an octane booster.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:01 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Running alcohol will lean you out, so your CO will drop if you need to run a lower CO to pass. But be careful: As you lean it out and drop the CO, your hydrocarbons will actually increase. I have my own emissions testing machine, and I've played with this stuff quite a bit: You're much better off just leaning out your idle mixture screws and pushing the idle speed up than running alcohol in your fuel - the hydrocarbons start climbing immediately upon addition of alcohol to the fuel.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:19 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: alcohol in gasoline for emmissions testing (lars)

My car tested -0- for CO at all test speeds.

Right in the middle of the range for I think it was NxO or whatever that is. All speeds again.

Basically have a great first test and am not going to change anything.

Old 07-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Retarding the ignition is what worked for my 86 pontiac. Here are the befor and after results

State standards are.........HC-1.8GPM CO-30.0GPM NOx-2.8GPM

Factory setting 8BTDC.............1.58.............7.97. ............4.27<---fail

Set timing @ 2BTDC................0.511...........2.8 2.............0.645

nothing else was changed but the timing. car didnt run as good with reterded timing but that was easily re-set after the test.

[Modified by Jvette73, 4:28 PM 7/28/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To alcohol in gasoline for emmissions testing

Quick Reply: alcohol in gasoline for emmissions testing