C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gummy deposits on valves...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 07:23 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Gummy deposits on valves...

Help! I've been trying to track down a problem with my new engine for what seems like forever. I'm on my 3rd carburetor, and I can't get the thing to run right. I recently had to pull the heads (long story), and I saw that the back side of the valves were covered with gummy brown deposits. The car has been running rich no matter what I do. What would the deposits indicate? Keep in mind the engine only has about 3-4 thousand miles on it, and these deposits were THICK!

TIA,
Old 07-27-2003, 09:06 PM
vette_c5c6
Instructor

Default Re: Gummy deposits on valves... (e3pres)

There is a good chance you are running to cold, make sure you have a new 195 thermostat and make sure you have a good working tempertaure gauge. A grey slime forms if the engine is run with a cold stat of very short trips. I you are running very short trips I would suggest to install a 198 stat and electric rad cooling fans.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:21 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Gummy deposits on valves... (e3pres)

If the heads are in good condition (good guides & seals), the oil you found on the valves are either from a bad PCV system or the intake is not sealing to the heads (oil being sucked in from the lifter valley).

Old 07-27-2003, 11:21 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: Gummy deposits on valves... (zwede)

If the heads are in good condition (good guides & seals), the oil you found on the valves are either from a bad PCV system or the intake is not sealing to the heads (oil being sucked in from the lifter valley).
I recently found that the hose going to the PCV valve was collapsing. I have since fixed the problem. I'm glad that the diagnosis matched a problem I have already found. :lol: Thanks!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Gummy deposits on valves...

Quick Reply: Gummy deposits on valves...