C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 04:13 PM
Tonwoo28
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Lessons Learned

Installed the Stewart Stage I pump recently. I learned first hand how difficult it is to align bolts to their respective holes for components removed, i.e. compressor, AIR pump, power steering pump, and alternator. Why'd I remove the each item? Well, although I removed the old water pump without much trouble I found out very quickly how many items are in the way when you have to use new gaskets. Each time I attempted to fish the pump into place, I'd hit the gaskets and the alignment would be off. The compressor was not removed until I attempted to put the heater hose back on. I had to detach the bracket, which is attached to the compressor in order to have enough room to put the 3in hose on. This released the compressor. The AIR pump was removed because I broke the bracket that supports it. With the new pump I replaced the heater hose pipe and it's new size cause the bracket to be off center. While tightening the bracket at the top bolt (something I never should have removed) POP!!!, it broke. $50 later, I filed the new bracket down intil it had enough clearance to attack properly. As for the alternator, I coundn't get the drive belt off without removing it completely. As it turns out the connector is to close to the valve cover gasket to get it off without breaking something. The power steering pump bolts were removed based on my maintenace manual. Putting it back on was no easy task. Now, having pulled what's left of my hair out, I got everything back into place. Upon starting the engine I immediately had fluid flowing, not leaking, from the water pump. The problem was the back plate on the pump. It wasn't tightened down. Having replaced water pumps in the past on other cars, I didn't feel the need to check the plate. They all came with the plate tightened. By this time I'd had enough. The flatbead was called in, and the car taken to the shop. After a few laughs from the "real" mechanics and $270 (includes the tow) the vette was on the road again. Grand Total: $410 - pump, bracket, tow, and maintenace. Being able to drive again - Priceless!

Quick Reply: Water Pump Lessons Learned