C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building an AC Throttle Positioner Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 11:24 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Building an AC Throttle Positioner Solenoid Bracket

This topic has come up recently and I thought I'd share my experience with the group. As I've posted before I was having a problem with my engine rpm dropping when the AC was turned on. I recently installed a new Edelbrock Thunder Series 650 cfm AVS carb on my engine but didn't put the Edelbrock solenoid kit on it. When the problem started to occur I checked into the price and found it to be $80 to $100 for the kit which consisted of a bracket and solenoid. I found this to be a little too steep for my blood so I decided to reproduce the kit. I had a solenoid from my old Q-Jet which is the standard throttle positioner solenoid for a 1974 L-48 engine so It's available at most auto parts stores at a cost, if I remember correctly of about $20 to $30. I then purchased some 1/16 x 1 1/2 inch x 4 ft. aluminum angle iron from the local Lowes store at a cost of about $8. Next I made a cardboard template of the bracket which you can see in the first picture. Once I was satisfied that the bracket positioned the solenoid in the right place (pushing the throttle open when energized) I transfered the pattern to the angle iron. First I covered the angle iron in masking tape so as not to scratch the aluminum and then transfered the pattern with a sharp pencil. Once the pattern was transferred I used a hack saw, various files and a drill to cut out the holes required to hold the solenoid and mount the bracket to the front left bolt of the carb base. By using the aluminum the fabrication is very easybut you can also use steel angle iron if you're not looking for a show quality finish. Once the part was cut out a little file work on the edges and some buffing on a wheel with white compound produces a very professional looking bracket. Once the bracket is completed you can mount the solenoid to the carb a give it a test. You can adjust the solenoid in or out by turning the positioner or you can bend the bracket slightly rearward if the solenoid is too close and you can't drop the idle. As with any kind of fabrication there is a little trial and error to get it just right. Once this is done you can either leave it as is or remove everything, sand the aluminum with some 1200 grit wet or dry and then buff it out again. Once reinstalled give it a final test and you're ready to go. With the solenoid in place and the AC off the engine idles at between 750 and 800 rpm. When the AC is turned on the solenoid is energized and with a slight tap of the gas pedal to set the solenoid ram the idle is set to about 900 rpm. The solenoid is spliced into the AC clutch wire for power. When the AC is turned off the solenoid is de-energized and idle returns to normal. Here's some pics of the buildup and final install. This shows the installation for an Edelbrock equipped engine but the same methods and parts can be used for any type of carb with a little ingenuity.

[Modified by vettfixr, 11:25 AM 7/27/2003]

[Modified by vettfixr, 11:29 AM 7/27/2003]

[Modified by vettfixr, 11:42 AM 7/27/2003]
Old 07-27-2003, 12:26 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Building an AC Throttle Positioner Solenoid Bracket (vettfixr)

Very clever. Wish I had been that smart.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:12 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

:cheers: Wow! That bracket polished up to a good match. Best part is you still have the $100 in your pocket. Looks like it could use another bolt to anchor it though. I thought there was more to it than just a bracket and am impressed easy it looks now. Now I know where that solenoid on my spare carb is going.
Man do I have work for you. :jester I do need two heat shields that can protect my fiberglass floor pans for from the exhaust pipe heat. :rant: Almost started the fabrication but not sure which way to go here. Have to fix some fiberglass damage first. :cuss
Old 07-28-2003, 08:10 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Building an AC Throttle Positioner Solenoid Bracket (cardo0)

Here's an idea for the heat shields. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some steel sheet. Cut them to the size you want for the heat shields and then mount the heat shields to the exhaust pipes with muffler clamps turned upside down. Drill the holes in the heat shields before you mount them and use double nuts on the clamps. The first set of nuts holds the clamp to the pipe, then put the shield on the flat side of the clamp and put another set of nuts to hold the shield. Shouldn't cost more than about $15 to $20 including clamps and sheet metal. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:33 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY nice! i sprung the $100 and yours is as nice as mine if not better!
nice job...thanx for sharing the pix with us!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:59 AM
jgwhite
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are the pics?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 AM
morleyz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering the thread is 10 years old, I'm guessing they're not longer at the location that was included in this post.

Get notified of new replies

To Building an AC Throttle Positioner Solenoid

Quick Reply: Building an AC Throttle Positioner Solenoid