C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need ideas...something is draining battery.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 04:09 AM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ideas...something is draining battery.

Whats up guys. Something in my electrical system is draining my battery if I let it sit for too long without starting the car up. I am not good with electrical and do not feel like shelling out a ton of money in order to fix this issue. I dont really care about holding programming in a stereo or anything at this time because I dont have one and I doubt I could hear one anyways with the new engine :eek:

Anyhow, unless someone has a better idea, I was planning on just installing a switch to cut all power when I leave the car. This will also double as kind of a kill switch for someone trying to start the car. So what will it take to do this and where would I tap the switch into? I doubt I should tie into the big old battery cable, lol...so where Do I tie into and where is the best place to put the switch? Any ideas on what kind of switch so that its discreet? I was thinking of just hiding one of those real tiny switches that is basically just a little 1/4" post or whatever.

Any ideas on the switch, or suggestions for other fixes are much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:54 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need ideas...something is draining battery. (joshs78sleeper)

Theres a battery kill switch that you put right on the terminal of the battery,but i would hunt down that gremlin that eats your power.Get a Amp meter and install in in series with the + cable and start pulling the fuses,one by one,`till you find the circuit that draws power..Electical gremlins are a bear to hunt down,but its quite fun :cheers: :cheers:
Old 07-27-2003, 11:04 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

.... Something in my electrical system is draining my battery if I let it sit for too long without starting the car up. ...

... I was planning on just installing a switch to cut all power when I leave the car. .... So what will it take to do this and where would I tap the switch into? I doubt I should tie into the big old battery cable, .....
How long is "too long" ? If it is a couple of days, then you have a problem. If it is 3-4 months, that might be normal.

If the time period is only a few days then you need to find the source of the short. The switch is only a bandaid. An electrical problem will not get better.

Your shop manual should have a section on finding electrical faults. The drain may not be an open short, as you did not mention any fuses blown. Also search the archives for more information on problems causing battery drain. I would start first by looking at any modifications or additions to the factory wiring; radios, radar detectors, GPS, etc that have been "wired in" .

Most switches to cut off power are installed at the battery. I would install the switch on the "negative" post (always disconnect the negative cable first / always reconnect the negative cable last).

[Modified by mapman, 10:08 AM 7/27/2003]
Old 07-27-2003, 11:21 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

A battery cutoff is one of the best things you can do for your car wether you find your drain or not. Many a vette have burned to the ground not to mention catching garages and houses on fire as well.

One of the most common causes for battery drain is the interior light delay box. Its an orange box behind the dash on the pass side.

Get notified of new replies

To Need ideas...something is draining battery.

Quick Reply: Need ideas...something is draining battery.