C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help removing rear rotors on 79

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 09:44 PM
boblad
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help removing rear rotors on 79

I'm upgrading the brakes and need to remove the rear rotors. The shop manual says there are rivets attaching the rotor to the hub that need to be drilled out. Those rotors are not original and I don't see any rivets. The rotor will not pull off by hand. Does anyone know a technique or special tool to pull those rotors off?
help,
Bob
Old 07-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Need help removing rear rotors on 79 (boblad)

If the rotors have been replaced before, then the rivets have already been drilled out. If that is the case the rotors should be just slipped on there. You may need to soak the area around the studs and around the hub part in the center with some Sili-Kroil (or other penetrating lube, although IMO there is no other) and take a piece of emery tape and buff the rust and scale off of the center hub, where the rotor needs to slide off of it. Then a few good whacks with a dead blow hammer and it should break loose.

-Justin
Old 07-26-2003, 09:50 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need help removing rear rotors on 79 (boblad)

I'm assuming the calipers are already out of the way.
If so, you might need to adjust your emergency brake shoes "in". If not, soak the area around the center of the rotor in penetrating fluid and try tapping tapping with a mallet around the edges. I should work loose.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:20 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need help removing rear rotors on 79 (isosceles)

A large three jaw puller to put a little outward pressure on the roter makes this a cinch. Tighten slightly, bang on it, tighten a little more. It'll come all at once and land in your lap, so put something soft underneath.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help removing rear rotors on 79

Quick Reply: Need help removing rear rotors on 79