C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on breaking in engine.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 09:17 PM
joshs78sleeper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on breaking in engine.

Ok, so I just got done with my new engine and tranny swap. I put a new 350 with about 375-400 hp, and a 700r4. I already broke the cam in of course. And I had to drive it home from my buddys house about 15 miles away. And then to the parts store a mile away. Other then that I havent driven it. I have to test drive the transmission in order to complete the install/warranty part with BTO. But that requires flooring it and stuff. Would you guys recommend doing that on a brand new engine?

Ive heard both sides of the story. Some say baby it for 500 miles. Some say break in the cam then hit the track. Some say just baby for 50 miles or so. Basically I am going to be running this engine pretty hard. Ill take it to the track not all the time but somewhat frequently, but I want it to last too since i just spent $6,000 on it and Im broke. Anyhow...What do all you guys recommend and do you have any support showing why? What about the tranny issue? Its a catch 22. I have to do the test drive and make sure everything is cool for BTO to give me my warranty, however I dont want to screw the engine up in doing so.

Give me your guys's suggestions. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Questions on breaking in engine. (joshs78sleeper)

What kina oil you got in in now? I would limit the rpm to 4k for the first 800mi while using straight 30 weight oil. Then change out the oil for some Mobil1 synth 10w/30 and let er rip.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:38 PM
7T9Shark
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Questions on breaking in engine. (joshs78sleeper)

I just finished rebuilding mine, too. The recommendations I have been getting are to not let it idle for very long (cam doesn't get good lubrication below 2K) and keep varying the speed, periodically loading it up and letting it coast. Keeping the revs. below 4K is also a good idea.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on breaking in engine.

Quick Reply: Questions on breaking in engine.