C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just saw a 72 bb coupe - not for me, but is it for you?

Old 07-26-2003, 05:20 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just saw a 72 bb coupe - not for me, but is it for you?

Friends,
I'm trying to keep up with Paul Borowski, and I went to look at a 72 big-block coupe. It isn't for me, but it may be just the thing you're looking for.

It is an original big-block car, with the W in the VIN. But there's another 3999289 block there now (didn't note the date code) and there's no VIN derivative on the pad, just a T1122-something. There's an Edelbrock intake, heads, Holly carb, and headers (Hooker I think - don't hold me to it). And the exhaust looked clean - the pipes still look like steel, not rusted-over 30-year-old crud. And it's a 4-speed. It smokes a bit on startup and has a rough idle, but it's a hot-rod and it sounds great. The owner claims it needs a tune-up, that it doesn't over-heat (the heater core is hooked up) and that the original engine parts (heads, intake, carb, exhaust manifold) are available (but I think it may be questionable that they are original given the block).

The 989 Warbonnet Yellow is MIA, it's now Midnite Emerald Mica, and it looks black when not in the direct sun. It was painted March 2002, and I know the shop that supposedly did the paint. And the interior is black vinyl. Some pieces are missing - trim pieces on the transmission hump under the dash, the rear compartment doors, and the T-top interior panels sag a bit and need to be "encouraged" to go back into place.

The options include power brakes, tilt column (but I don't think it's the original steering wheel), and an after-market radio. That's it - no air, no power steering, no power windows. If it had air, you might not be reading this.

The innards looked OK. There was the requisite surface rust underneath (other than the exhaust pipe mentioned above). I think it had a 7-leaf rear spring, and the original front bushings (uppers) that appeared to be ok. There's plenty of tread on the tires - they look relatively new.

The speedo says 68k or so miles, and given that the car is 30 years old I have to say it's realistic based on what I saw. The tach isn't functional, nor is the parking brake, and the antenna is included, but it's disconnected.

It would definately be a fun car for someone that can deal with the fact that it's not "numbers matching" and doesn't live in a hot climate. The guy isn't advertising it - it's just sitting in a dead corner lot with around 20 other FSBO cars. And it's kinda' tough knowing that the guy has been laid off and has to get rid of his Corvette, but he did drive his Harley to meet me (it's paid for, and probably cheaper to drive).

So, since you've read this far, you're probably not too concerned about the things that kept me from adding it to my collection. Is this car for you? The guy told me he turned down $9k. Then I mentioned the things that deflated me about the car, and why in my opinion the offer may not be so ridiculous - his response was "make me an offer." I didn't. The poor guy has been laid off for around 3 months, been attempting to sell the car for that long, and I feel for him. It would be cool to get some cash in his hands and get a Corvette in your garage.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:30 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Just saw a 72 bb coupe - not for me, but is it for you? (mayberg)

$10k would be a deal IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just saw a 72 bb coupe - not for me, but is it for you?