C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Billet Tach Drive Dist Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 02:51 PM
72Shark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD Billet Tach Drive Dist Help!

I need to purchase the small adapter that fits on the end of the tach drive cable that gets inserted into the distributor....where do I get one?? It's the small round adapter, with a small pin that engages the tach drive. It has a square center that fits over the tach drive cable. Any thoughts on were to get one?? Thanks!
Old 07-26-2003, 03:14 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: MSD Billet Tach Drive Dist Help! (72Shark)

Mine came in the MSD Dist box, I think. That, or it was in the old dist.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

MSD sells them. If I remember right it was about $10 -15. MSD part number 8491

Dave
Old 07-26-2003, 04:31 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

This may be a "long shot" but have you looked in a MSD catalog??
Old 07-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Read the last couple pages of the manual, it specifically states 'with the supplied adaptor' in one paragraph. I called MSD directly and read the paragraph to them and they sent me one that day. Of course I can't find the manual right now or I would tell you the page, guess is top of page 7.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:33 PM
Sixty9
Advanced

I bought 1 from Ramchargers where I bought the MSD distributor. MSD carries them.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:30 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: MSD Billet Tach Drive Dist Help! (Sixty9)

If you bought the distributor new it should be in the box. Call MSD and tell them it was missing. Mine was in the box. :D
Old 07-27-2003, 10:04 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Does the MSD distributor require an external box or does it just use the same coil that is already on my car? I don't really want to install the external box.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:24 AM
carl a
Safety Car

Default Re: MSD Billet Tach Drive Dist Help! (Eddie 70)

i hope the following helps- when i did the ignition on my 73 it already had a msd coil. but the previous owner took the 6-a box when he sold me the car-- i purchased the msd dstributer which came ready to hook up my tack cable-also this is very important- after a few years i blew out the coil- the red blaster msd coil- this back fed the 6-a box and smoked it!! also---- the reason this happened is this ---YOU CANNOT MOUNT A BLASTER (MSD) COIL ON A ANGLE(MANIFOLD MOUNT) IT WILL CAUSE A AIR BUBBLE (SINCE THE BLASTER IS A OIL FILLED COIL)-WHICH WILL EVENTUALLY CAUSE THE PRIMARY WINDINGS OF THE COIL TO BURN OUT AND BACK FEED THE 6-A BOX-SMOKING IT- if you want to use the manifold mount you HAVE TO GET A DRY TYPE COIL-you can mount the dry typoe upside down if you wanted to---hope my experences help you----get rid of the point set up--mine was a pain in the ----!!-when it rained i had moisture under the cap-- get the 6-al bow so you can install different rev chips- im running the 6,000 chip-- you can mount it on the drivers side inner fender-- i used a 3/16 3'' long bolt and made a ''stiff leg then bloted the other side of the box to the inner fender-because of the length of the box and the curve of the inner fender you'll have a angle space-this is where i used the 3'' long 3/16 blot to compensate for the angle gap---carl a
Old 07-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: MSD Billet Tach Drive Dist Help! (carl a)

Carl

Hope that was fluke since I have been running mine for couple years with no problem. It does state not mount it horizontal or upside down.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:27 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Default Re: MSD Billet Tach Drive Dist Help! (Fevre)

you got to understand-i bought my car with the blaster 2 coil already--so i had no way of knowing IT CANNOT BE MOUNTED ON A ANGLE-- really never gave it much thought-i found this out when my 6-a box shorted out-- when replacing my 6-a to a 6-al- i was going to buy a new coil,, while i was at the speed shop-------- when i told the sales person where i was mounting the new coil-he stated that the oil filled coils could not be mounted on the intake manifold-causes a air bubble-wll defentinately burn out IN DUE TIME-if you have a oil filled coil--it has to be mounted vertically- if your sold on using the stock intake mounting-you must run a dry type coil--im a electrican local 134 in chicago for the past 24 yrs-a foreman for the past 15 yrs----- a coil is a transformer--- every transformer pad i have ever done was level---there oil filled---did you ever see a electric service on the side of a building? is on a level pad-same difference-------later carl
Old 07-27-2003, 12:55 PM
carl a
Safety Car

by the way i also ran it for 2-3 yrs mounted on the intake- then the inevenable happened--its a matter of time----- call msd---i did --after this happened- thats why i went with the dry type coil- and in answer to the previous post-- you can run just the coil-but you wont have multiple spark discharge without the msd box-- it changes(the box) from inductive system to a capactive system(stores voltage like a capacitor)-- ready to discharge high voltatage in millie seconds where a coil can not keep up------ look at there web site --- punch in msd- it explaines the difference in the regular system and the msd system---------carl a

[Modified by carl a, 11:57 AM 7/27/2003]
Old 07-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

I need to purchase the small adapter that fits on the end of the tach drive cable that gets inserted into the distributor....where do I get one?? It's the small round adapter, with a small pin that engages the tach drive. It has a square center that fits over the tach drive cable. Any thoughts on were to get one?? Thanks!
THANK YOU!!!

I just put in a MSD Pro-Billet Tach Drive Distributor. I also replaced the tach drive cable as it was all twisted up. When I was done I was disappointed because the tach STILL didn't work. I assumed that there was something wrong with the tach itself. When I read your post the light bulb finally went on! I had left out the drive adaptor. :_dupe: Tach works great now. Corvette Forum saved my butt again. :yesnod:

Concerning the Blaster Coil mounting; the installation instructions state: "The Blaster Coil will mount in most factory canister coil mounts. . . . It is recommended to mount the coil in an upright position" Since most factory coil mounts angle back to clear the air cleaner, I would assume that MSD considers that upright enough.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Pat71vette
Racer

I lost mine I e mailed MSD and they sent one free
Old 07-28-2003, 03:36 AM
carl a
Safety Car

Default Re: MSD Billet Tach Drive Dist Help! (Pat71vette)

''upright'' means dont mount it on a angle------ i delt with msd on this ,and they agreeded you should not mount a oil filled coil any way but upright---heck the dry type only cost $25 to $30- isnt that good insurance-for the day your out on a road tour and your ignition takes a ----!!- i was lucky -i was coming homefrom vette fest in chicago--my ignition took a dump 1 block from my house- i was able to ''limp'' home
Old 07-28-2003, 10:29 AM
no_radio
Drifting

The Blaster II is a compact high output coil that you can mount in any position, and the cost is about the same as other high output coils. Mine fits great on the firewall, and the performance of the MSD coil, 6AL, and distributor is great.
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Billet Tach Drive Dist Help!

Quick Reply: MSD Billet Tach Drive Dist Help!