C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heater core LEAKS!!!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2003, 11:56 AM
petty44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default heater core LEAKS!!!!!!!!

found out the heater core just started to leak :mad :mad this could take a lot of beer!! :rolleyes: my car also has a/c which makes it worse plus its hot as hell here in tx. what is the best place to get a heater core?? vendors or local auto parts, MAD want's $100.00 :cry bushog
Old 07-26-2003, 12:15 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: heater core LEAKS!!!!!!!! (petty44)

I feel your pain.

Not a horrible job, just very time consuming. I spent a weekend (10-12 hours) with mine. I pulled the passenger seat (actually I pulled both seats & the carpet so that I could clean the carpet & put insulation underneath) and I would recommend reomving the passenger seat to give more room to work. I also bought the new duct seal kit as a "while-I'm-at-it".

I just bought a HC from the local auto parts (maybe $30). I didn't, but I should have had it pressure tested before I installed it. It's been in for about 4 years now with no problem (wood :smash: ).

You could bypass the HC with a U-shaped pipe if you don't want to do the job right now and want to wait for cooler weather.

Good Luck.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:54 PM
vette_c5c6
Instructor

Default Re: heater core LEAKS!!!!!!!! (jerryp58)

See you live in Texas, Why would you want a heater in your vette. I removed my heater hoses to clean-up the engine compartment. I would highly recommened this. If you want the stock look then plug-up the hoses and keep then on their fittings. Noneed to replace the heater core.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:13 PM
MYPET70
Advanced

Default Re: heater core LEAKS!!!!!!!! (jerryp58)

:iagree:

Oh yea, a Prestone Flush Kit adapter "T" works very well as a temporary by-pass until you're ready to do the whole job on YOUR terms (like colder wx). My war story was as I picked up my car at the port in Germany having been assigned there, I was greeted with green fluid on the passenger floorboard. I dug around a local dumpster and found such a "T" adapter and bypassed it without a problem. Good luck! :thumbs:
Old 07-26-2003, 04:54 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: heater core LEAKS!!!!!!!! (MYPET70)

Why replace it. My interior runs hot as hell in the winter. Just install headers.

Get notified of new replies

To heater core LEAKS!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: heater core LEAKS!!!!!!!!