C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tips on changing water pump please.

Old 07-25-2003, 06:46 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tips on changing water pump please.

I'm going to change the water pump on my '81 tomorrow and wondered how easy it is and if anyone has any tips please.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:46 AM
White 79
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tips on changing water pump please. (Pauld)

I just changed mine a week ago last Saturday. Bought a Hi-Flow Miledon from Summit for $92.00. Big diff in motor temperature. Before I would run a about 210 even though I had a 180 thermostat. Now she runs right at 180.

No big deal to replace. Paint water pump as soon as you receive it. Then it will be dry, by the time you have to install it. I used several coats of hi-temp ceramic blue spray. Then placed it under a 350 watt halogen light to expedite drying. I also throughly flushed the radiator system with 2 bottles of Super Flush from Prestone.
1. Drain radiator. I shiphoned to a bucket as much as I could. About 2 gal
2. Disconect the bottom radiator hose at the water pump.
3. Disconect the heater hose at the water pump.
4. Loosen and remove the alt and AC belt. If you have thermactor pump the loosen that too.
5. I did not have a thermactor pump so I did not have to deal with it.
6. Remove the 4 bolts that conect the fan clutch to the water pump pulley.
7. Remove the pulley, clutch and fan. You have to remove the belts to make room it to come out.
8. Loosen and remove 4 bolts holding the water pump.
9. Pass side top bolt holds the AC compressor. You can slide the water up from behind the bracket without removal.
10. Same on the drivers side, the alternator braket is on the top bolt. Move that bracket out of the way.
11. Remove water pump.
12. Reverse process.
While I had everything appart I painted the fan black and the clutch silver and replaced all the bolts with stainless.
I used distilled water in mine. They say it helps to keep scaling down. I also used 2 bottles of Water Wetter. I am tempted to think that Water Wetter is something like Snake Oil. But I caved and bought it.

All and all it took about 4 hours.

I guess that I was lucky. The engine was making a weird noise that I could locate. While wipping the motor at a car show I noticed that I could move the fan about 1/16" in all planes. The water pump should have leaked but it did not. When I took it off you could sping the impeller and hear the grinding.

I always say, I rather be lucky than good. It could have cost me a new radiator and even maybe a new nood. :party:
Old 07-25-2003, 10:37 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: tips on changing water pump please. (White 79)

Thanks White79, will be doing the job tomorrow, hope it goes to plan. Thanks again for the advice.

Paul.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:09 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drain the radiator first... I made that mistake... but hey I was tearing into the whole thing at once!

It'll wind up on the floor anyway right? :jester
Old 07-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prolly a good time to replace those cooling-related wear items (belts,hoses,t-stat,etc.) since they'll be off or close enuff to being off anyway.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 07-25-2003, 12:20 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Default Re: tips on changing water pump please. (Brettmc)

The while you in there list should also include a new thermostat and gasket and the above mentioned hoses/belts. Don't forget to coat the water pump bolt threads with sealant, they will leak. :yesnod:

edit - ooops - Brett, I didn't see t-stat above......must be getting old.......my b-day is coming up.....the big 40 :eek: :crazy:

[Modified by theandies, 11:22 AM 7/25/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To tips on changing water pump please.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tips on changing water pump please.