C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best high perf. clutch for my C3

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 11:18 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What's the best high perf. clutch for my C3

I'm going to be replacing my stock worn out clutch and was wondering what is the most common aftermarket clutch on the C3 forum. I want a good high quality performance street clutch but not one with a really hard pedal. I have heard that centerforce and hays are both good but I want to know what everyone here is running.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-24-2003, 11:32 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What's the best high perf. clutch for my C3 (L-82kid)

I'm running a CF DF in both of my cars and am very happy with them. Just make sure you get the right throwout bearing, pivot ball, and that the clutch geometry is right. If you do your research and follow the directions it's a GREAT clutch. The only thing is there's no feathering the sucker, it's either on or off. It's ok with me, but some don't like that.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:38 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: What's the best high perf. clutch for my C3 (Steve Straus)

I'm also running CF DF behind my BB.

It is an aggressive clutch, but pedal effort is not bad at all. I may be way out on the hardcore side, but it is not _nearly_ as much as ON/OFF as something like a sintered iron clutch (Ram 900). Now THAT is like a switch. ;) Very abrupt engagement, which is what you want from a racing-type clutch.

The CF DF is not that bad. It should hold up to a lot of power, but yet be very streetable. Mine certainly is.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:22 AM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What's the best high perf. clutch for my C3 (WA 2 FST)

I'm also running CF DF behind my BB.

It is an aggressive clutch, but pedal effort is not bad at all. I may be way out on the hardcore side, but it is not _nearly_ as much as ON/OFF as something like a sintered iron clutch (Ram 900). Now THAT is like a switch. ;) Very abrupt engagement, which is what you want from a racing-type clutch.

The CF DF is not that bad. It should hold up to a lot of power, but yet be very streetable. Mine certainly is.
:lolg: :lol: :rofl: My friend told me about one of your previous clutches on that bad #%% LX you had. Something about either bogging the engine or cooking rubber depending upon where your feet were :thumbs:

Back to the initial question. I'm running the CFII on my 350 and (while it was up) I enjoyed driving the car and really didn't have any complaints about the pedal pressure at all. Now of course :rolleyes: car's down undergoing major surgery. I'm sure whatever you pick will work alright for ya :chevy

Hey Wes, you got in on post #302 from me :flag

[Modified by 1969Vette350, 10:23 PM 7/24/2003]
Old 07-25-2003, 06:29 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

i have a SPEC stage 3 carbon clutch in my Z28. the thing grabs like a bastard- basically 'on' or 'off'. not a good choice for a daily driver, but great for the track.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Vault
7th Gear

Default Re: What's the best high perf. clutch for my C3 (Turbo-Jet)

I just put a dual friction in yesterday and love it so far.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:06 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: What's the best high perf. clutch for my C3 (1969Vette350)

:lolg: :lol: :rofl: My friend told me about one of your previous clutches on that bad #%% LX you had. Something about either bogging the engine or cooking rubber depending upon where your feet were :thumbs:

Hey Wes, you got in on post #302 from me :flag

[Modified by 1969Vette350, 10:23 PM 7/24/2003]
Woud that friend of yours be the guy who bought it... Jeff? :) I see you're in San Jose, and I know he is too.

Actually the Ram 900 works fine once you get used to it. You just _cannot_ slip it. First of all it will wear it out real fast if you do. I had friends here that were going through them every 1500 miles. I got lots of miles out of mine, but I didn't slip it at all unless I was at idle just bumping the car forward or back a little at a time.

But I tell you what, on a good hard 2-3 upshift you can tell the clutch isn't slipping at all...its like you're getting shot out of a cannon. Of course that could also have had something to do with 600+rwhp. ;)

Post #302 lives in infamy! :cool:
Old 08-07-2003, 08:02 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What's the best high perf. clutch for my C3

I'm in San Jose, but I didn't know that's where your car went :eek: I'll have to keep an eye open for it. Nah, my friend would know you from corner-carvers, though he's pretty silent; back in the day he was on that corral.net site frequently. He's got two '68 coupe Mustangs and only one is getting the love and attention. I think #2 was bought because #1 needed parts or what-not and it turns out he's showing #2 the love. Long term plans are to throw a 351C in it, it's painted Hon-duuhhh green so its name will be Clevezilla.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:57 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I have a Hays Competition clutch setup with Borg&Beck style Pressure Plate and street/strip clutch disc... So far - I'm VERY satisfied with my setup!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 11:49 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: What's the best high perf. clutch for my C3 (GrandSportC3)

Thanks for all the info., I decided to get the Hays Street/Strip clutch with the diaphragm pressure plate. I picked this clutch over centerforce because it was about $20-$30 cheaper and should hold up the same.

GrandSportC3: I was looking at the borg and beck stlye pressure plates but was told they were to hard for the street. How firm is your pedal and is it hard to deal with in traffic?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 08-08-2003, 12:02 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I replaced a Ram clutch with a CF dual last year when I rebuilt the engine. What A difference first while the pedal pressure is still quite a bit more than stock it feels feather like compared to the Ram, seriously I was starting to have my left leg look like it could be one of Arnold's. I can also feather it compared to the Ram but again nothing like stock.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the best high perf. clutch for my C3

Quick Reply: What's the best high perf. clutch for my C3