C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power shifting (T-5)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 06:00 PM
79corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power shifting (T-5)?

From the archives it mentions that the T-5 will hold up as long as you don't power shift. I am very unfamiliar with the different shifting techniques in a manual transmission. What is power shifting? Sorry about it being a stupid question.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:59 PM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: power shifting (T-5)? (79corvette)

Power shifting is as follows:

Plant foot firmly on accelerator until very close to the shift point

Pull the shift handle back towards the neutral position biasing the shift, but not so hard as to pull it out of gear

WITHOUT lifting foot off of the accelerator, edge (not fully pushing) the clutch pedal towards the floor, kind of pushing on the outer edge of the pedal so when the clutch disengages, the foot slides off the edge
-Simultaneously pulling hard on the shifter so with the slight disengagement of the clutch, the shifter action forces the fork out of one gear into the next

Recover the rear kick out because of the now misplaced traction from the rear end, and continue.

To shift into 3rd the same way, simply push up and away in a straight line with the palm of the hand in the direction of the 3rd gear gate when the clutch "disengagement" happens.

The main point of power shifting is NOT to lift on the shift! If done correctly (and on a tranny that can handle it!) the shift is (usually) faster than an automatic can do.

To a T-5 transmission, this spells instant death for it!! They will not handle this sort of activity!! The synchros, gears, and sliders will not take it!

hth
Old 07-25-2003, 12:11 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: power shifting (73sbvert)

I concur with 73sbvert. The T5 trans will not hold up to full-throttle upshifts unless your car is just plain weak.

As someone who ran one for years in his late model Mustang, I should know. However, they will hold up fine to lots of power, so long as you do not abuse it. I did many a 1st gear clutch drop at 5000+rpm on slicks with over 500rwhp on tap and ran low-11s@ 126mph in a 3400lb car. The T5 never wimpered. But I also lifted on the upshifts. :)

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2003, 05:25 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: power shifting (WA 2 FST)

It is also 3rd gear that is the weak point. You will not have problems with 1st gear burnouts, It is that power shift into 3rd. I have a 89 355 nitrous mustang with slicks that has never had a problem with the T5 but I too let up on the gas between shifts.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:13 AM
79corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: power shifting (norvalwilhelm)

I actually picked one up today (Friday). So will I have problems with downshifting at all?

Get notified of new replies

To power shifting (T-5)?

Quick Reply: power shifting (T-5)?