C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Composite Monospring Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 05:00 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Composite Monospring Woes

So I'm installing (or trying to) my new 360# composite monospring that I got from Eckler's. It's the VB&P spring they sent me which was to much surprise on my part, as that's the one I wanted.
Anyway, I've got this problem with my spring in that both "end plates" if you will, won't match up. I can get the middle bolted up with my old bolts as the ones Eckler's sent me are too big for the threaded holes. I'll have to buy some new bolts that are the right size because I don't want to use old bolts on a new spring. I can also get one side lined up, but the other is off by an inch or so. What can I do to get my spring installed? I hope these pictures work. If so the order from top to bottom is: Behind RR, Behind LR, Under LR, Under RR. If not, you may see them here: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/avanti63r1025 (look under Customized 1969 Corvette Pics. and they are the last 4 pictures)

They didn't work being posted.. Ugh

[Modified by 1969Vette350, 2:04 PM 7/24/2003]
Old 07-24-2003, 05:06 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Composite Monospring Woes (1969Vette350)

My steel spring was off line as well. The trick is to get both wheels off the ground and jack up the t-arm. It takes some finesse but it will work. Remember the bolt may also be at an angle at first. Dont worry, when the car is back on all four tires it will straighten out.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:55 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Are they off that much on both sides???? I mean, are both ends of the spring too far out, or too close to the tire, or is it one side is out and one in?? Do you have the strut rods off or on? It also looks to me as though the spring is too close to the trailing arm. I mean the car must be jacked up and the trailing arm hanging down a little bit in order to be that close, which leads me to guess that the strut rods are unhooked. I think if you center that spring in on the diff then jack up on the trailing arm until they are close to where they will run with a load on them the bolts will go right in. :thumbs: Let me know how it goes.

-Justin
Old 07-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Composite Monospring Woes (Dalannex)

:iagree: When you jack the t-arm up you can stick a socket in between the bottom of the t-arm and the frame. A 9/16 socket will work well. That will put it close enough to ride hieght. Most people only have 1 jack in their garage and by doing this you can raise both sides. Your going to need your jack to jack up the spring to install the spring bolts. Use a set of vice grips to where your going to jack the spring. The end of the spring will have a little lip on it where the metal end caps are. Clamp it right before lip(on the metal) and jack it up from there. Have fun and be careful. Springs can break bones. :thumbs:
Old 07-24-2003, 08:42 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Composite Monospring Woes

Alright thanks guys, I'll try that trailing arm trick. Since I've written last I've tried different things, I rotated the spring 180* just in hopes that it would work better.

There was one way I got everything lined up just right, but the center of the spring (inside the center mounting plate) was cocked at an angle such that there was more daylight between the rubber and the diff. cover in back than in the front of the rubber cushion and the diff cover. Imagine if you will, a partially extended airplane flap being sandwiched between two flat surfaces. In this position I noticed that when I started tightening the nyla-nut that something bound up and I wasn't about to put any stress fractures in my expensive fiberglass spring. :confused: That totally threw me for a loop, I'll see what else I can do now.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:27 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I wrote up a mono spring install tech tip. Go up the the "Tools" menu on the menu bar, then go to "tech tips" and then "C3".

See if anything in there can help you out.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:42 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah, I should throw in that I'm doing this with 295/50-15s and they're still on the car, should I remove those hunks of meat?
Old 07-24-2003, 11:37 PM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did this on tuesday.

Take the tires off!

Get the four center bolts in. Then push the TA up all the way (you will have to work against the strut a little). Use your jack and push the spring up a little. Now you should be able to get the bolt (at a very harsh angle) through the TA and the spring. Tighten it and you are off and running.

As far as the bolts, the paperwork with mine mentioned that some early c3's had their rear end cover replaced with a later model one and would need different bolts...
Old 08-06-2003, 04:45 AM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Got it installed on Monday, thanks Steve (Pacin'CA)
The car looks and feels nice with the fiberglass rear leaf spring and the KYB whites. I can't wait to get the rest of the car together and put it back on the road

Get notified of new replies

To Composite Monospring Woes

Quick Reply: Composite Monospring Woes