C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 04:34 PM
MYBLU71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas

I have developed a tick on the passenger side of the engine in my '71 SB. I just followed Lars procedure for adjusting the valves. (Thanks Lars! :cool: )That took some of the noise out of the engine compartment. I still have the tick though... :skep:

I am going after the exhaust manifold gaskets next. Still running stock manifolds... Any other ideas???

Old 07-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas (MYBLU71)

Exhaust leak possibly??
Old 07-24-2003, 05:32 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas (MYBLU71)

The stock exhaust manifolds do not have gaskets. Check to be sure that all of your bolts are in place and torqued.
You might also want to check your intake gasket in the area of the crossover passage.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:55 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Might be a lifter. If you don't mind "snake oils" you could try one designed to clean oil passages & such.

Are you sure it's not a plug wire?
Old 07-24-2003, 06:05 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas (1979toy)

The stock exhaust manifolds do not have gaskets. Check to be sure that all of your bolts are in place and torqued.
You might also want to check your intake gasket in the area of the crossover passage.
They don't? There were gaskets on my exhaust manifolds on my '74 when I pulled them off... Not saying they were stock, but I've never heard of an exhaust manifold not needing gaskets. You sure? :skep:
Old 07-24-2003, 06:30 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas (dath)

I think originally they didn't come with gaskets but most of the gasket sets I've seen for rebuilds have gaskets for them. The idea was that when the engine came from the factory the surfaces were true enough not to need gaskets. I think over time and with a lot of heat up and cool down cycles the trueness of the seal goes away and requires gaskets. But then again I might be full of :bs . :lol:
Old 07-24-2003, 06:41 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas (vettfixr)

I think originally they didn't come with gaskets but most of the gasket sets I've seen for rebuilds have gaskets for them. The idea was that when the engine came from the factory the surfaces were true enough not to need gaskets. I think over time and with a lot of heat up and cool down cycles the trueness of the seal goes away and requires gaskets. But then again I might be full of :bs . :lol:
Freaky. I just assumed that the gaskets were absolutely necessary to seal things up. It seems like they would have been asking for trouble otherwise... Anyone have a definitive answer on this? I'm really curious to know, in regards to the Vette, or any other engine, if they ever left off exhaust gaskets?
Old 07-24-2003, 07:59 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas (vettfixr)

:iagree: That's always been my understanding too... the "no gaskets", not the "full of :bs ".
Old 07-24-2003, 08:54 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Re: got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas (jerryp58)

Mechanical fuel pumps can sometimes develope a ticking noise that will drive you crazy looking for it.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:13 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas (7t2vette)

YES.... fuel pumps.. The push rod beats up the arm and it will sound similar to a lifter but never goes away. Mine was like that. Sometimes it ws noisey and sometimes it was quiet because there was a step on the fuel pump arm. I replaced the fuel pump and push rod. Problem solved. :iagree:
Old 07-24-2003, 10:12 PM
vette_c5c6
Instructor

Default Re: got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas (bluevetteman)

I am in the fuel pump corner. I went through all the crap that you went through " check this check that" The final ckeck was the fuel pump. Real easy to check if it is the fuel pump. Here is how you check. Start the engine take a wooden broom stick hold one end on the fuel pump and the other end on your ear, you may need some one to rev the engine and if it is the pump you will hear the ticking loud and clear.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:15 PM
MYBLU71
Racer

Default Re: got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas (vette_c5c6)

Thanks Guys!!! I will check the exhaust manifold gaskets and the fuel pump. The fuel pump looks fairly new, bu tthat doesn't mean a whole lot. I will let you know what happens.

:smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 07-25-2003, 09:37 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut about a 4' section of garden hose or heater hose and hold one end to your ear. Move the other end around to the suspected areas such as around the manifold mating surfaces and fuel pump area and even over the rocker arms with the valve cover off and engine running. the hose will work just like a stehescope and help you locate the source of the noise.

Get notified of new replies

To got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas

Quick Reply: got a ticking on the passenger side... looking for additional ideas