C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTSY Fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Feltman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CTSY Fuse keeps blowing

Hello! I have the vette fever. Purchased my 1981 Dark Blue coup about a week ago. I have a problem that I need some help on. When I got the car the passenger right window would not work. The dome light, glove box light, lighter, horn and power door locks did not work. Removed door panel and checked for power to the window motor..it had power, so I assumed it was the motor. Put everything back together and the window worked..humm! Replaced the CTSY fuse and it lasted about 3 seconds, long enough to verify the locks do work ..here is where I am at:
Disconnected Glove box light, lighter, both power door switches and taped door pillar shut. Installed new fuse..blew immediately. Horn does not work, so will check it next. Do I gave a ground problem? Could it be a "live" wire that is rubbing. Are there any trouble shooting instructions in the shop manual (hopefully will receive mine in the next few days) that someone could send me....
:banghead:
Old 07-24-2003, 12:29 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: CTSY Fuse keeps blowing (Feltman)

:seeya Welcome to the forum.

Check the hot wire comming off the bottom of the cigarette lighter housing. They sometimes fall off and touch somthing on the frame causing the fuse to blow. Otherwise its prolly gonna be a similar problem with a different wire. Oh, also check to make sure nothing, like a penny, fell down into the cig. lighter socket. That would cause the fuse to blow also (ask me how I know ;) )

:cheers:
Old 07-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Feltman
Cruising

Default Re: CTSY Fuse keeps blowing (77Dream)

Your welcome:cheers:

Thanks---I did disconnect both wires from the lighter..still blew....I will not ask about the object in the lighter..already know the answer :auto:
Old 07-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many lights behind the instument panel, speedo, and tach that can come loose and short out. This is not a fun item to track down. I also consider dash work to be about the worst.

Chuck
Old 07-24-2003, 01:59 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Replaced the CTSY fuse and it lasted about 3 seconds, long enough to verify the locks do work
Did it blow when you hit the lock switch?
If so I would suspect your short is somewhere in that system between the switch and one of the lock solenoids in the doors.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:09 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Hello! I have the vette fever. Purchased my 1981 Dark Blue coup about a week ago. I have a problem that I need some help on. When I got the car the passenger right window would not work. The dome light, glove box light, lighter, horn and power door locks did not work. Removed door panel and checked for power to the window motor..it had power, so I assumed it was the motor. Put everything back together and the window worked..humm! Replaced the CTSY fuse and it lasted about 3 seconds, long enough to verify the locks do work ..here is where I am at:
Disconnected Glove box light, lighter, both power door switches and taped door pillar shut. Installed new fuse..blew immediately. Horn does not work, so will check it next. Do I gave a ground problem? Could it be a "live" wire that is rubbing. Are there any trouble shooting instructions in the shop manual (hopefully will receive mine in the next few days) that someone could send me....
:banghead:
I have chased many shorts over the last 40 years and I'll tell there is a SINGLE "tool kit" that has NEVER failed me in this pursuit! Simply called "Short Circuit Finder", it has been sold under many different labels (K-D, MAC, etc.) but it's the same as it has been for years. The use couldn't be simpler - just plug the 2 wires from the "round thing" onto the two contacts for the fuse - this sends a "pulse" down the circuit that has the short, turn the power on, and follow the wires with the meter until the meter fully deflects (in pulses) - that's where the short is. Very simple electromagnetic principles applied here which WORK!

Here is a link to a place that sells it, but you may find it elsewhere for less - I just wanted to give you an idea.

http://www.salejr.com/automotive/14ZX9374U.html

EVERYONE should have one in the back of their toolbox! If you use it once, you'll be glad you bought it forever!
Old 07-24-2003, 04:01 PM
Feltman
Cruising

Default Re: CTSY Fuse keeps blowing (pws69)

Awesome--I will have one by this weekend. This is why I joined this forum to get help when needed..hopefully I can repay the favor :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To CTSY Fuse keeps blowing

Quick Reply: CTSY Fuse keeps blowing