C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get the right intake manifold from summit please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 11:49 AM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me get the right intake manifold from summit please.

I cant pass up the 10% discount codes that have been passed around and am looking for an intake manifold. I am not exactly sure which one I need though. I'm looking at the Edelbrock Performer and Performer RPM intakes (I don't know which one I would want/need). I have a 77 with a stock motor and have to abide by the CA smog laws :cry . I also need it to fit under my stock hood with my Edelbrock 1903 carb. I'm pretty sure I need one with EGR also. Oh, and just aluminum or polished aluminum would be what I want.

Could someone please post some part #'s of the ones that I should be looking at. I'm afraid I will order the wrong one. Also the part #'s for anything else I might need to do the swap would be nice, like gaskets and other such stuff.

Thanks a bunch.

:cheers:
Old 07-24-2003, 02:49 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: Help me get the right intake manifold from summit please. (77Dream)

Somebody help :cry

:cheers:
Old 07-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Either one will work with no hood clearance issues. I have the Performer #2101 for no emissions.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:18 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: Help me get the right intake manifold from summit please. (Stewart's74)

How about this intake:

Chevrolet: 262-400, EGR, dual plane, spread bore flange, aluminum, Performer intake manifold http://store.summitracing.com/partde...art=EDL%2D3701

Though I don't know if I nead spread bore or square bore. (I think spread) And what does the "dual plane" refer too? and is that what I want?

I couldn't find any of the RPM series that I thought would work.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

yes thats it :thumbs:
Old 07-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

How about this intake:

Chevrolet: 262-400, EGR, dual plane, spread bore flange, aluminum, Performer intake manifold http://store.summitracing.com/partde...art=EDL%2D3701

Though I don't know if I nead spread bore or square bore. (I think spread) And what does the "dual plane" refer too? and is that what I want?

I couldn't find any of the RPM series that I thought would work.
Yes, that intake will work just fine. If you have the stock Q-jet, you will need the spread bore. As far as the meaning of dual plane manifold, I'm going to quote directly from David Vizard's book, "How to Build Horsepower -- Volume 1":

"A manifold in which the carburetor feeds into a common plenum (plenum is the area under the carburetor) is called a single-plane manifold. All intake runners draw their charge of air and fuel from this common plenum chamber. A dual-plane manifold, on the other hand routes the intake runners in two groups so that each half of the carburetor alternately feeds inductuion pulses (180 degrees apart). This divides the plenum and the carburetor into two seperate two-barrel units, each made up of one primary and one secondary barrel. The main functional difference is that, while a single-plane design feeds each cylinder from all four barrels, a dual-plane manifold feeds each cylinder from only one half of the carburetor. In practice, the smaller volume of the dual plane design will usually produce more low speed torque, while the clean flow path of the open plenum manifold will supplement top end power."

Now, just in case you're confused, you will want the dual plane manifold for the street. The single plane manifolds are great for producing power higher in the RPM band, above 4500, and if modified properly, can perform as high as 8000.

Since you are in California, you'll need the EGR and all the other crap. This is a good manifold for the intended purpose.

Old 07-24-2003, 03:52 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: Help me get the right intake manifold from summit please. (Captain Morgan)

Thanks Cap. Morgan,

I dont have the stock q-jet, its an Edelbrock 1903. I should be ok though becuase I think its a direct bolt on replacement (car still has original intake). I think this is the one I am going to buy.

Does anybody know if they make a Permormer RPM intake that will work for me?
Old 07-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

If you don't have the cam for the Performer RPM, then you don't even want to bother with getting the RPM manifold. I have one on my '79, but it was a pain to get it to fit. I had to use two different air cleaner assemblies and take the drop base from one, and the flat top lid from another. I'm able to fit a 3" K&N filter on with this setup, but I don't really think the RPM manifold was worth the hassle for my setup. In fact, I'm going to change to the Performer Air Gap either this winter or next, depending on how much money I spend on other parts of the car this winter. You won't be able to use the Air Gap because it's not set up for EGR, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me get the right intake manifold from summit please.

Quick Reply: Help me get the right intake manifold from summit please.