C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Victor Jr. or Performer RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:05 AM
Glutamine83
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Victor Jr. or Performer RPM?

my engine specs are in my sig, and I have access to used versions of each of these intakes, which should I go with? will I have clearance issues with either? (Q-Jet carb)
Old 07-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Glutamine83
Racer

Default Re: Victor Jr. or Performer RPM? (Glutamine83)

can you put a q-jet on a victor jr?
Old 07-24-2003, 12:38 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

can you put a q-jet on a victor jr?
Well - you would need an adapter to use the q-jet on a Victor Jr.. and the adapter would make the assembly too high...
Old 07-24-2003, 06:34 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my engine specs are in my sig, and I have access to used versions of each of these intakes, which should I go with? will I have clearance issues with either? (Q-Jet carb)
Isn't the Victor Jr. a single plane design? Seems to me that the Q-Jet may not be a good match for the Victor, but probably could be made to work by the likes of Lars:D Like Oliver said, I think you'll need an adapter plate as well, which will bring the height up. I actually think that even if you didn't need the adapter, the Victor is too high. At least that's what Mark at AR thought when I asked about the Victor on a different engine combo than I ended up going with... Maybe you could makeup the difference with a drop-base air cleaner... Of course, my guess would be that you like streetability if you're still running the Q-Jet, so you may want to go with a dual plane as they give better results at lower RPM ranges from my understanding...
Old 07-24-2003, 06:40 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

I don't believe Edel ever made a Q-Jet Victor Jr.
The Perf RPM can be had in either configuration.

Since this would be used, I'd make sure the Perf RPM is for a Q-jet. You really don't want to run an adaptor.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:26 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Victor Jr. or Performer RPM? (BeaterShark)

stick with the rpm intake
Old 07-24-2003, 09:00 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Victor Jr. or Performer RPM? (QuickVet)

The Vic Jr is square bore only,and for a street driver I'd stick with a dual plane.I have the RPM Q-Jet and it fits under the stock hood with a drop base filter easily.

[Modified by The Money Pit, 9:01 PM 7/24/2003]
Old 07-24-2003, 10:26 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Victor Jr. or Performer RPM? (The Money Pit)

TO: The Money Pit,

I just brought a performer RPM Q-jet manifold (#7104) and I going to run a rochester Q-jet on it. What drop base air cleaner do you use and will it work with my carb? I have the stock small block hood and need to make everything fit.

Also i plan on switching to a holley or demon carb sooner or later and want to know if a square bore will bolt onto the Q-Jet RPM manifold. The manifold looks like it has the holes for both a square bore and a spread bore but I'm not possitive.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2003, 09:01 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Victor Jr. or Performer RPM? (L-82kid)

It's a GM Performance 14" filter with a 3" element.The Holley will fit the RPM-Q Jet intake for sure.I switched mine from an Edelbrock 1904 (Q-Jet clone) to a Holley 3310.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:53 AM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Victor Jr. or Performer RPM? (The Money Pit)

The Vic Jr is square bore only,and for a street driver I'd stick with a dual plane.
In most cases, I'd agree. But most people dont run a 298/304 cam for a street driver. Usually, with a cam that big you want to run a single plane.

I'd try to find an original Torker manifold. They are sold on ebay all the time and all the ones I've seen work with the Q-Jet.

If you want to buy new, check out the Team G street ram: http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...AMSM/7525.html
Old 07-25-2003, 11:11 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

I'd say it depends on what transmission you have.

3 speed automatics require a wider powerband because of the greater rpm drop between shifts as opposed to a 4,5, or 6 speed stick. If your car is an automatic, the the RPM is a better choice because of the longer runners on the manifold which will help intake velocity and torque.

The Victor Jr is a better match to a stick because it gives up some lowend torque, but the engine spends more time in the higher rpm range so shorter runners are a better choice in this application.

IMHO, I have to agree with BeaterShark on the 298/304 cam being a bit much on the street. Also if your building a high preformance engine, I don't know much about Q-Jets, but Holleys are a good choice and fit many more common intakes too ;) .
Old 07-25-2003, 11:13 AM
Black68Vette
Pro

I'd try to find an original Torker manifold. They are sold on ebay all the time and all the ones I've seen work with the Q-Jet.
I have a Torker 1, set up for a Holley, that I'd GLADLY swap for an used perfomer RPM air gap manifold....

Get notified of new replies

To Victor Jr. or Performer RPM?

Quick Reply: Victor Jr. or Performer RPM?