C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door fwd edge cracked

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 09:46 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default door fwd edge cracked

I just noticed my driver door forward edge has a chunk broken/cracked.:mad

My paint was basically flawless and I am extremely careful opeing the doors. I think the wife is to blame even though she doesnt drive it. Have to blame someone! I see other vettes and some have same damage. Must be common.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:46 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: door fwd edge cracked (Surfer69)

I have seen a number of cars that have little cracks or gash's on the front edge of the doors where they have came in contact with the hinge. I don't know if this happens from opening the door really hard, the door be a little misaligned at one time and opened, or from the hinge being worn. It does seem to be a common occurance that I have seen before. Those are the things that drive you crazy too. Most people don't even notice them but to you the owner they stick out like a sore thumb.

[Modified by James, 9:48 AM 7/24/2003]
Old 07-24-2003, 10:52 AM
77Dream
Drifting

I have those cracks. Mine were from bubba jacking it up in the wrong place and then opening the doors. Jacking in the wrong place causes a lot of body flex and the front edge of the door comes in contact with the back edge of the fender. If you dont notice and open the door then either the door or the fender will break (or in my case both :mad ).
Old 07-24-2003, 11:01 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Yep, I'm another owner of that problem. I think mine is only on the drivers door. Mine must have happened when it was jacked up or something because it won't reach the crack now.
Both of my doors used to close really smooth also but after taking it to Discount tire one of the numbnutzes there jacked up one corner only like I asked him not to do and since then my driver door doesn't close as smoothly. :mad
Old 07-24-2003, 12:14 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: door fwd edge cracked (tshort)

This is a really common problem on the 68 and 69 especially. The hinge is a little weaker and allows the door to "spring" too far open and the fiberglass and the hinge get intimate. I've seen folks weld a stop onto the hinge to keep it from going past the furthest open point.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:17 PM
CORVETTE CRAIG
Instructor

Are you sure this isn't caused by the door hinge "S" stop.
This is the part that keeps your door in place when opened.
Mine had a cracked (crushed) section right in the middle of the front edge of the door. Upon further inspection, the "S" stop had wiggled it's way out of place, so when the door was being opened, it was pressing up against it.
I hadn't noticed it right away. I did on a a windy day, it left a 2" long crack/smash/crushed section right where your describing.
I simply pulled the "S" stop out of both doors, and have NEVER seen the problem again. That was eight years ago.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: door fwd edge cracked (CORVETTE CRAIG)

when you say S stop are you saying the door S spring or is there a second S?

Get notified of new replies

To door fwd edge cracked

Quick Reply: door fwd edge cracked