C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a 12v line for my electric choke...where can I look?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a 12v line for my electric choke...where can I look?

My RPMs are through the roof without the electric choke for the street avenger connected. My Q-jet didn't have an electric choke so there is no readily available line for me to hook up to. Where can I find a 12v line that's hot only when the car is running? Thanks everyone!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:28 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I need a 12v line for my electric choke...where can I look? (Phoenix79)

There are usually "extra" terminals on the wiring harness outlet near the fuse box. Just put your voltmeter(multimeter) on a terminal that appears to be "free". If it has voltage on it only when you turn the key, then you can use it.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Indy Year 25
Racer

Default Re: I need a 12v line for my electric choke...where can I look? (Phoenix79)

I used a loaner carb from Lars that had an electric choke. He told me to pick up the power at the wiper motor. Worked like a charm. Just make sure you get a power lead that is switched.

For a temp hookup I just pushed a spade terminal into the connection. I am sure you will want a more permanent connection.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:52 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

use the accessory terminal on the fuse box. It's labeled.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:59 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Here is a address for a great article(s) on carburetors (mostly Q-jets) but it does have the best write up on electric choke wiring that I've seen. Good reading about carbs too. http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofcrb.htm . Good luck Phoenix. :thumbs:
Old 07-23-2003, 11:20 AM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Default Re: I need a 12v line for my electric choke...where can I look? (Indy Year 25)

I like the idea of using power from the Wiper motor. My wiper motor has 3 wire connectors. There are two connections on the driver's side of the motor with multiple wires and one connector, a red wire wire on the passenger side of the wiper motor. I'm sure its safe to assume the wiper motor is the stock one for a 79. Which connection or wire has power with the car running?

I really need to go a voltmeter...

Get notified of new replies

To I need a 12v line for my electric choke...where can I look?

Quick Reply: I need a 12v line for my electric choke...where can I look?