C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grease/Lube for Poly bushings

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 09:13 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grease/Lube for Poly bushings

I thought of something while at work today...

I've read and heard that poly bushings can squeak unless you grease them well. But I've also heard the grease doesn't stay put, and squeaking can start within a year of install. In the forum archives, I noticed some people using "marine grease" for the bushings.

My thought - We use this stuff called "extreme pressure lube #3" at my work for placing on dead centers. It provides lubricity even when the contact area is squeezing most of the lube out. I was wondering if this might work well... Any thoughts?
Old 07-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Grease/Lube for Poly bushings (75 BBC Stingray)

My own opinion on this is you must be careful with lubricants and rubber parts. I don't know if polyurethane can be softened by lubricants like rubber can. When I installed my polyurethane suspension parts they came with a tube of very thick almost clear grease, it was very sticky and might have been silicone based? I would maybe consider contacting the mfr. to see what they recommend.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Grease/Lube for Poly bushings (75 BBC Stingray)

Couple of thoughts:

When I installed my VB&P polyurethane suspension bushings, they were packaged with "TefCone" lube, which is some kind of teflon/silicone compound.

Like Big Fish said, the key aspect is the chemical effects on the bushing material. Anything that would tend to harden the material over time would be bad.

Some of the aftermarket manufacturers are putting grease zerks on their bushing shells. Wish I had known about those before I replaced every single bushing in my suspension... :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To Grease/Lube for Poly bushings

Quick Reply: Grease/Lube for Poly bushings