C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t-top weatherstrip help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 07:48 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default t-top weatherstrip help?

I asked the question a few months ago about the weatherstrip on my 73. I installed new weatherstrip and could not get it to slide on top of the chrome center moulding. Someone suggested to tuck it in and lock it down and let it conform for awhile. Well I did that and let it latched for over a month and it looks exactly like it did before. It wants to protrude downward beside the center moulding instead of on top of it. Is is possible that I have the wrong weatherstrip or one that is inferior? I did not purchase these, they came with the project car when I bought it, so I don't know the brand. Has anyone else had a problem getting their weatherstrip to fit? Here are some pics of the weatherstrip. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Craig

[Modified by CF6873, 7:49 PM 7/22/2003]

[Modified by CF6873, 7:51 PM 7/22/2003]
Old 07-22-2003, 10:58 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: t-top weatherstrip help? (CF6873)

Looks like the later model weatherstrip to me. I dont remember when the change was made, but they are much thicker. We sometimes use them on earlier models to cure the leakers. I use a little vasaline on them to help with installation. It will take a long time for them to conform.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:13 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

When I replaced my w/s I removed the inserting tabs from the t-tops, set the tops in place, close the two side latches, and then reinstalled the inserting tabs. This allowed the w/s to be compressed straight down on to the chrome molding. I let the tops sit for about two weeks and then removed them to check for fit. No problems and one year later no problems.
If you want to heat the w/s before setting the tops down. This can help to reshape the w/s in some cases.
Roger
Old 07-22-2003, 11:29 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I have a few suggestions.

1. You may have to wrong weatherstrip for your car. There was one set for 68-77E and another for 77L-82. But supposedly the 68-77 had 19 plastic pins and the later had 18. My guess is they are in different locations and you would have noticed this on installation.
2. You see those shims(spacers) under the tab in pic 1. You maybe have to add more in what ever area is too tight.
3. My weatherstrip took a while to "relax". 3 or 4 days for the tops, 6 MONTHS for the doors, and I had to park in the sun a few times.

[Modified by LAvetteman, 10:32 PM 7/22/2003]

[Modified by LAvetteman, 10:34 PM 7/22/2003]
Old 07-23-2003, 01:45 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I just put WS on a 70 today and it was different than the WS you are showing. Yours seems to be thicker. I taped the WS down with masking tape(green or blue tape) I slid them on and they were tight but I am waiting for the rubber to flatten out a little. When I did the doors on this car it took a few months for the doors to loosen up. I would let them sit on the car longer than you did because you dont have much of a choice without changing the WS. Please don't use vasaline I hate Vasaline YUCK YUCK YUCK :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 07-23-2003, 10:06 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Default Re: t-top weatherstrip help? (Love My 72 and 77)

. Please don't use vasaline I hate Vasaline YUCK YUCK YUCK :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
It's to late, I already used some vaseline so I could push it in with a stick from the inside . Thanks for the replies guys. I suspected it was the wrong W/S as soon as I tried to get them on. I think I will try to pick up the right ones at Carlisle. Who sells the best ones??? Thanks again. Craig :cheers:
Old 07-24-2003, 08:16 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

bought mine from Corvette Rubber.
Make certain you get the right ones, there is a 18 pin and a 19 pin part.
Roger
Old 07-24-2003, 10:19 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Default Re: t-top weatherstrip help? (RMS73)

I do remember when I installed them there was a difference in the number of pins. At the time I shrugged it off as its another repro difference. I just checked the Corvette rubber website and it says for 70- 77E to use 77L-82. If this is what I already have how do they get them to function properly? You guys with the Late C3s, Does your weatherstrips set completely on top of the chrome or does the deep part protrude down along side of the chrome center moulding? Thanks, Craig :chevy
Old 07-25-2003, 03:04 AM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's to late, I already used some vaseline so I could push it in with a stick from the inside .
Doh! I actually lubed my weatherstripping up as well, but I used a 3M silicone lubricant paste (the same stuff you use for electrical connections) that said it was good for the job... Seems to condition rubber things too... I used it on my gas tank filler neck boot deal and it helped enough that I didn't feel I absolutely had to spend the $20 to buy a new one. Call me Bubba!

Get notified of new replies

To t-top weatherstrip help?

Quick Reply: t-top weatherstrip help?