C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Yeller81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Control Arm Bushings

Just went for an Alignment and discovered the upper control arm bushing are shot . How difficult to replace . I will pull the control arms and take them to the shop to have the bushings replaced . How difficult to remove just the arms on a 81 with A/C.
:steering:
Old 07-23-2003, 06:17 AM
Ybnormal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Upper Control Arm Bushings (Yeller81)

Not that hard will just take some time, and all those while I'm at it will get you :crazy: www.angelfire.com/al/swhite7/frontend.html

YBNormal...drive a vette
Old 07-23-2003, 09:44 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Default Re: Upper Control Arm Bushings (Yeller81)

Yeller -
If your upper arm bushings are shot, I can just about guarantee you that the lowers are shot as well - the lowers are very hard to see and evaluate with the arms in place, so if you're going to go through the trouble of pulling the uppers, just pop the lowers out and re-do those while you're at it - piece of cake. I have a complete "how-to" paper available on the front end rebuild - drop me an e-mail if you'd like a copy:
V8FastCars@msn.com
Old 07-23-2003, 10:11 AM
Jeffski
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Upper Control Arm Bushings (lars)

Yeller -
If your upper arm bushings are shot, I can just about guarantee you that the lowers are shot as well - the lowers are very hard to see and evaluate with the arms in place, so if you're going to go through the trouble of pulling the uppers, just pop the lowers out and re-do those while you're at it - piece of cake. I have a complete "how-to" paper available on the front end rebuild - drop me an e-mail if you'd like a copy:
V8FastCars@msn.com
:iagree:

There is no point in doing just the uppers, not that much more to get the lowers out as well. :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 07-23-2003, 12:59 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Upper Control Arm Bushings (Jeffski)

:iagree: too - do them all.

Getting the ball joints to pop out of the spindle can be a pain.
If I had to do it again - I'd get the pickle fork tool that fits on an air hammer.

BTW - you'll need ball joints, too - might as well get a whole front end kit (less than $200).

:seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Upper Control Arm Bushings

Quick Reply: Upper Control Arm Bushings