C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting problems PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Redfish74
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problems PLEASE HELP

I have a 74 vette with a 350 and well it wont start. If i wait like over night then it will crank just fine the next day. Also it will start if i jump it. I thought it might be the alternator not putting out enought amps cause of all the electic mods i have done (hei, fans, nice stero ect). So i changed the alternator. Also if i have to key turned in the on position and touch the starter ternimals with a screw driver then it will start. I ended up taking it to the shop and he said it was my ignition switch was burt up so he replaced that said everything should work fine. I was all excited but just to make sure when i got home and turned it off i tried to start it back up and what do ya know didnt do anything. Anybody got any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2003, 07:26 PM
Sixty9
Advanced

Default Re: starting problems PLEASE HELP (Redfish74)

First off--not real clear. Is it not starting after it gets hot or can you start it while cold--shut down and restart. If its only after gets hot and you can jump it--sounds like starter or starter connections--good luck!
Old 07-22-2003, 07:29 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Yeah its prolly something to do with the starter. Maybe the soliniod (sp?) is going bad?
Old 07-22-2003, 07:43 PM
Redfish74
Heel & Toe

well i thought that and it is only after it gets hot but even if it is hot i am still about to jump start the car. plus brand new delco started with heat sheild
Old 07-22-2003, 09:40 PM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe some of the BB guys can jump in here..have heard of hot start problems with their starters..maybe something like this is going on. Come on guys..lets give a fellow brethren a hand here please..thanks!
Old 07-23-2003, 09:34 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: starting problems PLEASE HELP (81' Corvette Guy)

I would check the primary wiring to the starter from the battery and the ground. Not uncommon to have this as a cause for so called "hot start" difficulties.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your battery or ground connections are dirty or oxidized use sandpapaer or a file to make the connections shiny, then tighten them right up.

I had an ongoing starter problem that is now fixed - sometimes I turn the key and just nothing, no turnover, no click. I wired in my aftermarket alarm starter kill relay and also a secret kill switch in series with my clutch switch. The 12V at the clutch switch eventually ends up at the starter terminal on your starter solenoid. I removed my kill switch and alarm relay from the path and I also found a dirty connector in the path that I made shiny. There was just too much resistance in the path and not enough current was getting to the starter solenoid but now she's fine. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To starting problems PLEASE HELP

Quick Reply: starting problems PLEASE HELP