C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not that I'd really want to calculate the gas mileage ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 05:57 PM
73ragtop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not that I'd really want to calculate the gas mileage ...

I have a 73 Corvette convertible. Speedometer and odometer work perfectly, but the trip odometer is stuck at 12.7 miles. I've finally gotten everything else on the car exactly right; so I guess I'll fix this. How big a job is it? Can I do it without removing the dash and speedometer? I really hate working inside the dash in this hot weather, but if I must, I will. Do you think this is an adjustment problem, or must I try one of our illustrious vendors for a shaft or some other similarly unobtainable and/or incredibly expensive part. Thanks.

Eddie
Old 07-22-2003, 06:05 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Not that I'd really want to calculate the gas mileage ... (73ragtop)

If the speedo works correctly, I'd say that a rebuild is probably in order. There are specialty shops that rebuild them.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:26 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Not that I'd really want to calculate the gas mileage ... (73ragtop)

The trip odo is reset with a mechanical cable (atleast on my 71 it is). If the cable is stuck in the reset position the trip odo would not work. So my first check would be the cable.

Get notified of new replies

To Not that I'd really want to calculate the gas mileage ...

Quick Reply: Not that I'd really want to calculate the gas mileage ...