C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with Street Avenger. Car died first run after installation.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Street Avenger. Car died first run after installation.

I bought a Edelbrock Performer Intake and Holley Street Avenger 670. After all the minor details I installed everything reset my distributor with the rotor pointing to #1 at TDC...etc.

The car idled fine cold...high rpms but I attribute that to the Street Avenger's electric choke that I did hook up yet, correct?

Well after letting it idle till warm I decided to drive it. After driving around the block the car started to sputter losing idle and finally it just died. It wouldn't start back up. After some inspection it looked like I flooded the engine. I could see the gasket between the manifold and carb was wet, I'm going to assume it was fuel. After letting it sit for 20 mins I attempted to start the car and it did with a nasty idle but it maintained that idle. I slowly pressed down on the accelerator and eventually drove the car back into the garage.

While I was pressing down on the gas the car sputtered as if it was about to die but slowly the rpms went up and it drove fine.

What is wrong? I think the problem lies with the carb and the gasket. Not bolted down tight enough? That could of been something I overlooked....

After heavy acceleration the problems occurred. Before I drove the Vette it sat in the garage idling fine. Also my automatic tranny wasn't shifting...the kickdown wasn't engaged with the carb's linkage assembly tightly. Would the kickdown cause the tranny not to shift?

Sorry if the most obvious of car functions is oblivious to me. Learning as I go. Thanks for the support everyone and I hoping you have some solutions for me.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:30 PM
ukvette72
Instructor

Default Re: Problems with Street Avenger. Car died first run after installation. (Phoenix79)

I have the same carb.

This may just be coincidence but it had similar problems from day 1. In my case the accelerator pump discharge nozzle was blocked. Fortunatley this is easy to check and remedy, so you may want to start with this.

I also find that it runs much much better with a fuel pressure regulator.

David
Old 07-22-2003, 01:35 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Problems with Street Avenger. Car died first run after installation. (Phoenix79)

Awhhh...you guys are scaring me...got one sitting in the garage waiting to go on my performer manifold. Hope you get the kinks worked out...thanks.
:lurk:
Old 07-22-2003, 02:08 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Float level out of adjustment?

Brett :thumbs:
Old 07-22-2003, 03:27 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Default Re: Problems with Street Avenger. Car died first run after installation. (Brettmc)

Thanks I'll check that. Think the float level is too high or too low?
Old 07-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

If it's flooding, prolly too high.

Old 07-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

And THEY said the Street Avenger was bolt on and go! Sheesh.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:35 PM
nicecurves79
Instructor

And THEY said the Street Avenger was bolt on and go! Sheesh.
i have the same combo-i never had those exact problems, but it was not bolt on and go-i had to tune it ALOT. on the brighter side its running well now :D
Old 07-22-2003, 07:35 PM
Redfish74
Heel & Toe

I bought a street avenger and had to ajust the floats a little bit to make it run perfect but mine runs great now. it also took time off at the track i hope u get everything worked out. I am sure u will love it once u do. 1 problem i did have was it seemed to die and sputter like around turns and u turns. At the time i had bosch plugs in it and my friend told me to switch to delco did that and ever since then it run like a bat outta hell
Old 07-23-2003, 08:47 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Problems with Street Avenger. Car died first run after installation. (Redfish74)

If you didn't wire the electric choke up, the car is choking itself out. Fix the choke first before you start tinkering with the carb. I ran a wire right to the fuse block and tied it to spot on there that has 12 volts anytime the key is on. Try this and see if it helps.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Update?

Old 07-24-2003, 11:38 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Holley Avenger is not a quality controlled carb. I tried a 770cfm on a 454. It would not idle down below 1500rpm's. Checked obvious and no go. Called Holley and they said - well partner, adjust your idle screw down! Thanks a lot as a I took it out and have it in my hand. Then they told me I forgot the carb gasket which is when I hung up the phone.

Pulled the carb and started looking carefully and found the secondary throttle plates would not close fully - giant air leak. The throttle plates had burrs on them from stamping and were misaligned. Cleaned them with emery cloth, loosened the screws and realigned. Now the carb would idle down -- just before it flooded out. The float level in the primary was not just off it let fuel in like a toilet. Adjusted that out and finally the carb ran well.

I have talked to several people and now read in the forum the problems "Avengers - right out of the box" are having. Holley needs to fix their quality control and run these things. I have bought Edelbrock carbs both their performer and the Q-Jet for other projects and only had to adjust the carb out. No manufacturing screwups. Would I use Holley again - maybe in certain applications, but would assume it needed work.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:12 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

sounds like your car may be jumping time too...check your distributor and make sure its tight...i have a street avenger too, and it still hesitates off idle...but runs great other than that...probably need minor tuning, which i will eventually get around too.

Get notified of new replies

To Problems with Street Avenger. Car died first run after installation.

Quick Reply: Problems with Street Avenger. Car died first run after installation.