C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacement t-tops

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 09:29 AM
rmm025
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement t-tops

Are the thompson one piece tops any good or would I be better off just resealing everything to try and prevent leaks?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:45 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: replacement t-tops (rmm025)

If you do a search on Astro Tops in the archives you'll see a lot of different opinions on the topic. I've seen them on other cars and they look god but the method of attachment seems a little mickey mouse. I'm going to check them out when I go to Carlisle this year. All in all, for the $329 they might not be a bad buy. I'll reserve judgement until I see them in person.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:17 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,450 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Re: replacement t-tops (vettfixr)

I went over to Melrose T-tops, which restore glass tops. He highly recomended against the Astro top; said he's had them come into his shop and didn't feel the quality was very good.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:08 AM
rmm025
Intermediate

also, what about the tops that have convertible material on them? I found some on corvette america for $280.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:49 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I never liked them. You have to put velcro across the front halo panel above the windshield to attach them. :U There used to be a company that made tops with convertible material that attached just like regular t-tops but they're no longer available. You can find them sometimes on e-bay.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:59 PM
rmm025
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, I like the astrotop but all the reviews in the archives talked like they were a pain in the butt so I guess I will probably try to reseal my tops.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:04 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Thanks for the info, I like the astrotop but all the reviews in the archives talked like they were a pain in the butt so I guess I will probably try to reseal my tops.
I sent my broken t-top to Thompson and had them rebuilt. They replaced the glass with acrylic and the weatherstripping was totally replaced. The units I got back were in excellent condition and looked better than the ones I sent in to them. The acrylic is much lighter and very tough. I highly recommend the acrylic replacement t-tops instead of their one piece unit.

Get notified of new replies

To replacement t-tops

Quick Reply: replacement t-tops