C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

centering steering wheel after control valve install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 08:50 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default centering steering wheel after control valve install?

What is the best way to re-center the steering wheel after what I've done below?:
I installed a new P/S control valve last night, but now my steering wheel is off to the left about 10 degrees. I had the car aligned in March when the front poly kit was installed.
Is it as simple as removing the pitman arm from the control valve again with the front wheels pointing as straight as possible, then turning the steering wheel straight, then reattaching the arm? Or would it be simpler to unbolt the steering wheel and move it? Do I stand a good chance of ruining the control arm stud boot with a pitman arm fork if I use it to separate it again?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: centering steering wheel after control valve install? (isosceles)

Make sure the wheels are straight and take the steering wheel off, then reinstall where you want it. :thumbs:

-Justin
Old 07-22-2003, 09:14 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: centering steering wheel after control valve install? (Dalannex)

Disconnect the battery so you don't blow the horn the whole time. I found out the hard way. LOL!!! My wife came to the door and wanted to know what I was doing. Nothing dear just playing. :steering:
Old 07-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: centering steering wheel after control valve install? (Eddie 70)

If I remember correctly, there are 30 serrations where the steering wheel attaches to the steering column. Therefore, moving one serration will change the steering wheel centering by 12 degrees.

To "fine tune" steering wheel centering, you will need to make your adjustments at the tie rods. By rotating the adjuster sleeves on the right and left tie rods the same direction and the exact same amount, you will change your steering wheel position. By rotating the sleeves the same, you will not change your front wheel toe setting.

One caution, the AIM book and the shop manuals are quite specific that the tie rod clamps (that lock the adjuster sleeves after your adjustment) must be oriented correctly when you retighten them.

I have two papers posted at http://www.corvettefaq.com in the Steering section. Download the following:

Adjusting Steering Linkage Tie Rods

Adjusting Steering Linkage Tie Rods Pictures

These papers will give you all you ever wanted to know about this procedure.

Jim Shea
Old 07-22-2003, 01:03 PM
drs80vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: centering steering wheel after control valve install? (Jim Shea)

Thanks for the excellant reply Jim! I too have a slight to the left off center on the steering wheel. I also did the control valve replacement and do not recomend messing around with the pitman arm again.

[Modified by drs80vette, 6:03 PM 7/22/2003]
Old 07-22-2003, 04:22 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: centering steering wheel after control valve install? (drs80vette)

Thanks for the replies. I know you guys have saved me hours of frustration.

Jim, I looked at your write ups and they are awesome. I'll see how much fine tuning I have to do.

Eddie70, I know you've saved my wife hours of frustration listening to my horn blowing :rofl:

edit: BOOGERS! I had to bleed the air(with the cap OFF this time), think that went successfully. But now my horn doesn't work. I think Bubba may have been in it previously. There is a huge gob of solder on the thing that contacts the ring to the button. I'll mess with that tomorrow. It's about 95 degrees in my garage still :mad <==burning up, not mad

[Modified by isosceles, 10:08 PM 7/22/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To centering steering wheel after control valve install?

Quick Reply: centering steering wheel after control valve install?