C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 08:41 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have?

Lets make this an average of all the worlds' horses.
Assuming they could be tested on a Dynojet,
how many HP does a horse have?
If you "know" the answer please don't post the details until after midnight.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:12 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (Matt Gruber)

This post WILL be highly contested :yesnod: :lol:
I have not voted yet........but I have AMMO
:thumbs: :crazy: :smash:
Good Poll

[Modified by theandies, 8:12 AM 7/22/2003]
Old 07-22-2003, 10:42 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (theandies)

Let's see.... "one horsepower" would be the logical response....except we have to understand if that is the old "gross" rating, or the more modern "net" rating (as installed, ie. with saddle/horsehoes/rider) and then of course calculate the "drivetrain loss" through the various muscle groups and bones to the hind legs, which generates the "RWHP", meaning "Rear Wicked Hoof Power".

:jester
Old 07-22-2003, 10:43 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (theandies)

Some years ago on the old Alt. Autos.Corvette UUNET site there, this was gone around and around about, but the 'officicial' testing was done by James Watt...of steam engine fame to come up with some sort of standard to compare the power of his steam engines....primarily for sales purposes I would guess.....give an ideal of the relative size of the unit's too....capabilities...

so he tested, I forget just how, a bunch of horses, and came up with about 746 electrical watts as the equivalent of one HP....I thik there was another guy involved in that evolutionary process there, forget just who...maybe Edison, not sure....

I know some years ago there was a site online that ex plained the history of it all very clearly, complete with explanations and calculations and bases of assumptions......

GENE
Old 07-22-2003, 10:58 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (mrvette)

Isn't HP th ability to lift 550lbs in 1 second?

Might depend on th horse? :confused:
Old 07-22-2003, 11:06 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (Matt Gruber)

probably around 4 or 5. i read somewhere where the guy that invented it measured a really low amount. probably a old horse.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

If I remember correctly, Horse Power is the amount of work a horse can do in 8 hours. I can't remember exactly.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:18 AM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (Dwayne 76)

If I remember correctly, Horse Power is the amount of work a horse can do in 8 hours. I can't remember exactly.
That's a union horse !! :lolg:

[Modified by 75Rag, 4:40 PM 7/22/2003]
Old 07-22-2003, 11:30 AM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (75Rag)

That's a union horse 11 :lolg:
:lolg: :lolg: :rofl: :lol: :iagree:
Old 07-22-2003, 11:32 AM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (Dwayne 76)

I seem to remember reading it was around 5. I believe the same article descibed it as the amount of energy required to lift a certain mass at a certain rate and actually had nothing to do with a horse.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:37 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (BigBadOrange)

a dynometer measures rotational force ie. torque. The torque multiplied by RPM and divide by 5250 will give you horsepower. If anyone can find a horse that can develop torque and especially RPMs. i will buy it from you for 600 trizillion dollars. :lol: If you put a horse on a dynometer you will get 0 horsepower.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:41 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (bloodvette80)

a dynometer measures rotational force ie. torque. The torque multiplied by RPM and divide by 5250 will give you horsepower. If anyone can find a horse that can develop torque and especially RPMs. i will buy it from you for 600 trizillion dollars. :lol: If you put a horse on a dynometer you will get 0 horsepower.
:iagree:

Wonder how you strap it on the dyno? Couldn't pay me enough to do it, sheesh!! And what if...never mind!! :jester
Old 07-22-2003, 11:47 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

We need more information.

Has the horse being tested been modified in any way?

High protien oats.
Funnels in the nostrils (ram air).
New hoof-ware from "The Shoe Rack".

You know, all of standard upgrades (note, I left exhaust upgrades off the list).
Old 07-22-2003, 11:49 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (jerryp58)

Street slicks (ie horseshoes). rear spoiler (tail up?). front spoiler (head down?).
Old 07-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (bloodvette80)

Modifying the horse for the dyno is probably out of the question but it would be rather simple modify the dyno to test a horse. You could get a big belt, attach it to the driven bar and make a big horse treadmill. Or you could put a pulley on the bar, attach one end of the rope to the horse, loop the rope around the pulley (180*), and put some sort of tensioning device (eg. rock) on the free end of the rope. You'll need to figure out the losses incurred by the rock though. You could minimize those losses by using a chain like a bycicle or timing chain with a sprocket on the driven bar and just a guide to keep the chain on the sprocket.

Wow. Sheer genius if I do say so myself. Unfortunately the ten minutes of my life I just spent figuring out how to modify a chassis dynomometer to accept input from a four legged animal has undoubtably deprived the world of the portable fusion generator I've been working on. You only get so many "Eureka!" moments in your life you know. :lol:

[Modified by Cookwithvette, 12:31 PM 7/22/2003]
Old 07-22-2003, 12:00 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (Cookwithvette)

Modifying the horse is probably out of the question but it would be rather simple modify the dyno to test a horse. You could get a big belt, attach it to the driven bar and make a big horse treadmill. Or you could put a pulley on the bar, attach one end of the rope to the horse, loop the rope around the pulley (180*), and put some sort of tensioning device (eg. rock) on the free end of the rope. You'll need to figure out the losses incurred by the rock though. You could minimize those losses by using a chain like a bycicle or timing chain with a sprocket on the driven bar and just a guide to keep the chain on the sprocket.

Wow. Sheer genius if I do say so myself. Unfortunately the ten minutes of my life I just spent figuring out how to modify a chassis dynomometer to accept input from a four legged animal has undoubtably deprived the world of the portable fusion generator I've been working on. You only get so many "Eureka!" moments in your life you know. :lol:
Aren't you a cook? careful how you look at that horse, ... ok just tell us already, whats the recipe? :lol:
Old 07-22-2003, 12:10 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (Cookwithvette)

ROTFLMAOTNTPIMP :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

Why do we want RWHP? Isn't a horse a 4 wheel drive :D

Get notified of new replies

To if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have?

Old 07-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (jerryp58)

We need more information.

Has the horse being tested been modified in any way?

High protien oats.
Funnels in the nostrils (ram air).
New hoof-ware from "The Shoe Rack".

You know, all of standard upgrades (note, I left exhaust upgrades off the list).
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 07-22-2003, 12:15 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

it would be rather simple modify the dyno to test a horse. You could get a big belt, attach it to the driven bar and make a big horse treadmill. Or you could put a pulley on the bar, attach one end of the rope to the horse, ......

"On the next Monster Garage" Jesse and his team will turn a 1978 (really a 73) chevy pickup into a horse dyno.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:24 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have? (adamdinat)

I think the correct answer for the average horse is 0,7 / 0,75 on a sustained basis.
1 HP is defined as one horse lifting 33,000 pounds the distance of one foot in one minute

Quick Reply: if a live horse was dyno tested how many HP would it have?