C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 03:35 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Changing the water pump?

I have an '81 and there is a noise coming that sounds like a squeeky fanbelt now and again and when the motor is revved hard there seems to be a high pitch whine that is coming from the belt area. I think this is the water pump.

How easy is it to change the water pump on these motors?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2003, 06:47 AM
standup
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Changing the water pump? (Pauld)

Are you sure your belts aren't slipping?????
Old 07-22-2003, 07:23 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Changing the water pump? (standup)

Are you sure your belts aren't slipping?????
:iagree: Be sure to check the belt tension to be sure the belts aren't your culprit :yesnod: . Swapping waterpumps are too bad in a C3, just take your time and everything should go fine. You could also try changing the belts 1st if they've been on there for a while ;) .
Old 07-22-2003, 07:50 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Changing the water pump? (Pauld)

mine made the same noise with only the alt belt left on. I replaced the pump with a high flow Stewart pump and it went away. Also dropped the temps by 30 degrees.

The replacement isn't too hard. You'll have to loosen your P/S and A/C belts. My alternator adjusting bracket is held on by one of the water pump bolts, so I took out the alternator to give myself more room. The A/C bracket fits behind the pump on the other side, so you'll have to remove one or 2 bolts from the compressor mount as well. Four nuts hold the fan and fan clutch on, then 4 bolts for the water pump. You'll probably have to change the studs that the fan clutch fits on from the old water pump to the new one. Also any heater hose fittings or plugs from the old one too. There is an extra outlet on the top of the Stewart pump that I bought a brass plug for from a local auto parts store.
It's not a bad job at all. :smash:

[Modified by isosceles, 6:51 AM 7/22/2003]
Old 07-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Changing the water pump? (isosceles)

mine made the same noise with only the alt belt left on. I replaced the pump with a high flow Stewart pump and it went away. Also dropped the temps by 30 degrees.
:iagree:
with the Stewart pump. Installed one on my C4 and it made a huge difference in cooling. Only way to go.

tom...
Old 07-22-2003, 08:27 AM
A2Shark
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Changing the water pump? (Tom73)

If the bearings on the water pump are really going bad, you should see a steady drip out of the weep hole. If you do have to change the water pump, look at it as an opportunity to do a little engine detailing - painting the fan, pulleys, mounting brackets, and anything else you can find in there.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:30 AM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Changing the water pump? (A2Shark)

Before you start tearing into too much, that high pitched whine may be your power steering pump, and most of them whine. Try removing the P.S. belt, see if the noise goes away.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing the water pump?

Quick Reply: Changing the water pump?