C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with water in the engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 12:16 AM
midyearguy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with water in the engine

I've been cleaning up my '67 and used simple green and hosed the engine down but I had a few pieces off that I thought were covered. So I went to change the oil today and first thing that came out was a bunch of water. How bad is this and what can I do? I can't start the car for at least a few days so what can I do in the meantime?
Old 07-22-2003, 03:51 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need help with water in the engine (james75)

Oh, I wouldn't want water sitting in my engine. That water will rust everything in just a couple of days. Hopefully, the engine had enough oil coating the surfaces that it won't rust too badly. You need to get all the water out that you can, including replacing the oil filter, then fill with oil and start the engine. I would not run it any longer than a few seconds...just enough to get the engine well oiled. Then let it sit and check the oil after a few minutes to see if the oil is milky. If so then drain the oil and refill with fresh. There could be some wear due to the water in the oil; however, it's nothing compared to the damage that rust would do if you left the water in there.

Good Luck
Old 07-22-2003, 08:01 AM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need help with water in the engine (Rockn-Roll)

I'd second what Rockn-Roll said. Be careful not to run it very long -- water isn't as god a bearing lube as oil.

You didn't mention where most of the water got in. If a bunch went down the intake track --- I'd pull the plugs and squirt as much oil in there as you can. Some oil down the intake to get the back of the valves. IF you have a compression checker - screw its hose into the spark plug holes and fill with your favorite anti-water oil. I like Marvelous Mystery Oil ( is is it Magical Mystery Oil?). This will be a fill and turn the motor by hand fill and turn 'till you figure each piston has gone through a stroke with the oil in it. It will be a mess as the oil is forced out the spark plug hole.

For the oil track -- like Rockn-Roll said fill and drain fill and drain 'till you are sure you are getting only oil.

good luck

Old 07-22-2003, 09:53 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry to disagree folks, but this is not big deal really. He got water in the engine and did not start it. Just drain it out (like you already did) and add new oil. No need to change filter 'cause he didn't turn it over, but I always put a new filter on at oil changes. Pull plugs and crank it with coil wire off. Then change oil again after a short warm up and you're ready to go. I made a mistake on my MasterCraft ski boat and filled the top end with water. Did the above and used it for the rest of the day then changed the oil that night, again, this is not a problem. :thumbs:
Old 07-22-2003, 01:12 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is kinda related - I read on this forum something about slowly pouring a quart of water into your carb with your engine running about 2500 RPM. Apparently this will clean a lot of the carbon out of your engine????? :skep: Whats that all about?

[Modified by Boofers, 12:15 PM 7/22/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with water in the engine

Quick Reply: Need help with water in the engine