C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do they "document" milage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 10:54 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default How do they "document" milage?

Seems like every ad I see for a car with supposedly low mileage says "documented milage." How the heck does someone document milage?

JB

[Modified by JB, 9:54 PM 7/21/2003]
Old 07-21-2003, 10:57 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: How do they "document" milage? (JB)

I dont know ?????
It is not something Im to worried about myslef it wont sell me the car thats for sure....
unless the car was in a county or state that required yearly inspections thats the only real way you could "documnet" mileage...

At least thats what I think.....

johnny

[Modified by phrogs, 10:02 PM 7/21/2003]
Old 07-21-2003, 11:28 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do they "document" milage? (JB)

Copies of previous titles showing mileage when the title got transfered, copies of yearly safety inspection paperwork that shows odometer reading, copies of service records showing mileage at each date, etc. Sure, most all of it can be faked, but in general a good paper trail like this will separate the umpteen hundred "70k mile" C3's on ebay from the real deal.

Shannon
Old 07-21-2003, 11:46 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: How do they "document" milage? (sb69coupe)

I don't think a state like Texas will put milage on a title on a car that is 30 years old. Or will they if you ask? I know I gave our boondock county groupies a Bill of Sale showing 74,000+ miles on the '74 I own and the new title says *EXEMPT* in the milage section. Granted... it came out of Canuckland and had to be retitled. Maybe it's that no one trusts our northern friends. :cheers:
Old 07-21-2003, 11:52 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do they "document" milage? (bgrice)

While our cars are "exempt" in certain states today, they were not exempt 15, 20, 25 years ago. Copies of those old titles will have the mileage on them. If a copy of a title from years ago is available to "document" the mileage at a given point in time, that's about as good a piece of proof as you can find to document the mileage of a car. Hard to have one of those "70k mile" ebay specials when the car showed 80k miles at the first title transfer :D
Old 07-22-2003, 12:56 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do they "document" milage? (sb69coupe)

My c3 has 45k on the odometer, and 27k on the title when I purchased, when i went to the title office, it became milage exempt. they said it was to old.

Get notified of new replies

To How do they "document" milage?

Quick Reply: How do they "document" milage?