C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

effects of differing left and right exhaust backpressure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 03:19 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default effects of differing left and right exhaust backpressure?

Ok, so I ask weird questions. But my left muffler is in a lot worse shape than my right. It has a big rust hole in the lower rear and is way louder than the right. I don't know what the difference in backpressure is. If it were too much I'm sure the left side cylinders would be burning leaner than the right. What effect would this have on the way the motor runs? Think it would be noticeable?
Old 07-21-2003, 03:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: effects of differing left and right exhaust backpressure? (isosceles)

They do run through the single cat con? There should not be a difference.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:32 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: effects of differing left and right exhaust backpressure? (isosceles)

Well, if you had the stock 79 exhaust, I'd say it won't make any difference. But you have true duals, I'm guessing without an H or X pipe, so it MIGHT make a difference. I'm not sure how much, but I'm guessing it's not going to be anything major. If it were a major problem, then GM would have put an H or X on vettes when they were building them with true dual exhaust. If you want to balance out the power cheaply, you could go to an exhaust shop and have them put in an H-pipe for about $30-$50 . They'll just cut a hole in both your pipes and weld in a piece of pipe between the two. Or if you don't want to spend the money, knock a hole in the other muffler. ;) At some point, you're going to want new mufflers, that would be a good time to have the H installed.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:39 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Default Re: effects of differing left and right exhaust backpressure? (paul67)

Paul,
Nope, true duals all the way back from each manifold with out a cat on either side.

[Modified by isosceles, 2:39 PM 7/21/2003]
Old 07-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

when i o2 sensor jetted my 72 at one stage i changed to much better mufflers. i checked the o2 reading and it was the same.
On a dual plane, each plane feeds 2 cyl on each side, so you can't jet around the theoretical, but not-existant problem.
the H or X pipe is a good idea. as previusly mentioned :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To effects of differing left and right exhaust backpressure?

Quick Reply: effects of differing left and right exhaust backpressure?