C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro-Street... or Not to Pro-Street...that is the question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 11:47 AM
69Rat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro-Street... or Not to Pro-Street...that is the question!!!

Anybody out there have a tubbed C3? I've just bought a '69 vert BBC, and trying to decide to tub it or not. I'm looking for a paticular stance, but can't seem to figure if I can keep the 'vert top in operation if I do. If you have pics of yours or any tubbed C3.. (especially convertible!) Please post them!

Thanks!!

Anyone..feel free to weigh in on this one... :D
Old 07-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Pro-Street... or Not to Pro-Street...that is the question!!! (69Rat)

Old 07-21-2003, 12:23 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Pro-Street... or Not to Pro-Street...that is the question!!! (Alwyn678)

You say Pro-STREET so does this mean that you will be street driving your car? A friend but a 72 Cutlass into a Pro-Street car, tubbed, sheetmetal interior, caged with a 455 and skinnies in the front. He says that tubbing his car was the worse thing he's ever done to it. The car just wants to push forward in the corners. It takes off hard and straight but is not street friendly.

Unless you plan on just drag racing, I'd go with offset trailing arms and fendor flares to be able to install an 11" wheel and still be able to turn.

Just my 2 cents :cheers:
Old 07-21-2003, 12:36 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Pro-Street... or Not to Pro-Street...that is the question!!! (69Rat)

All depends upon your setup. I can see with the previous post on him complaining about the pushing, but common sense would dictate that the car isn't a canyon carver anymore.

A friend of mine has a 79 Z28 that he brought to Carlisle for the GM Nationals, he installed a Morrison back-halve kit and has MT 33x21.5's on his. We went for a ride around town and the car actually rode quite smooth.

I was amazed at how street friendly the car was - granted we didn't take corners at 50 mph either (common sense thing).

[Modified by 70PurpleLS7, 12:37 PM 7/21/2003]
Old 07-21-2003, 12:39 PM
69Rat
Racer

Default Re: Pro-Street... or Not to Pro-Street...that is the question!!! (SmokedTires)

Yes, I will deffinately be driving this on the street. I'm not sure what your friend's setup was like, but I've built two other Pro-Streeters (86 S-10, and 70 Opel GT), and didn't have any problems with cornering. of course, it's not going to be a GT road car, but for normal tooling around town, or even on the highway.. I didn't have a problem... and my Opel ran 10.02 @146mph, and had wheelie bars! the trick for the street is, NO SPOOLS, and the bigger the car, the bigger the fronts need to be.
Having no experience with the vette, I'm just curious if I can get the stance and keep the top. I like to be different.. and I've seen a hundred C3's with TTII wheels and offset trail arms.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:52 PM
69Rat
Racer

Hi Alwyn678, Any idea if the top worked? Do you have any other pics of this one.. it seems to have the stance I'm going for. :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Pro-Street... or Not to Pro-Street...that is the question!!!

Quick Reply: Pro-Street... or Not to Pro-Street...that is the question!!!