C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over heating... any ideas?

Old 07-21-2003, 10:48 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over heating... any ideas?

I have been running a little hot lately, and i noticed bearings coming out of my clutch fan, so i replaced the clutch portion (used the existing 7 blade) and it helped a little, but i still get up to 205F. I know thats not too bad, but not good either. Think I'll have a look at my thermostat tonight, otherwise install an electric fan... I have an evaporator, so i will have to put the electric fan between the clutch fan and the rad... it appears that clearance will permit. Any ideas? by the way i checked my timing and that is not the cause.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:22 AM
johns73
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Over heating... any ideas? (bloodvette80)

I would try blowing some of the crud out of the radiator fins first, if that doesen't do it maybe check your water pume pully for play if there is any it should be replaced. :flag
Old 07-21-2003, 11:26 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: Over heating... any ideas? (johns73)

forgot to mention i washed out the rad as good as possible last week, (considering i have an A/C evaporator infront of it). I'll check the pulley tension tonight, otherwise maybe I'll pull out the rad and fill it with muriatic acid then flush.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:44 AM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how true this is but I heard it is important to have the 2 rectangular foam pieces on either side of the top of your rad.
Are you running lean? That would make your engine run hotter.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:55 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: Over heating... any ideas? (Boofers)

i did rebuild the carb myself about 2 months ago..... it was the 3rd carb i ever rebuilt so i am far from being a quadrajet expert. The rubber pieces above the rad are definitely intact. I was just looking at those yesterday.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:09 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Also check the lower fins on your radiator. These often corrode to the point that they no longer carry heat away from the tubes. Your radiator can be clean as a whistle inside and perfectly leak free but if the fins are gone or severely damaged, the radiator is shot. Don't ask me how I know.....

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:39 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Over heating... any ideas? (LemansBlue68)

And remember, 200+ water temps are normal operating temps.....nothing to worry about . :thumbs:
Old 07-22-2003, 06:36 AM
standup
Drifting

remember your car has been running cool for 23 years with the system it was designed with.....opting for an electric fan seems extreme and it's like you're avoiding the real problem....like thermostat, water pump, hoses, radiator, heater, bad gaskets, even a vacuum leak can cause a rise in temp.....

Is the increase at idle or at highway speed???? And when did you first notice the change....e.g. is this a summer condition only....or maybe your evaporator is blocking a path of cool air??? And what is the increase; 5, 10, 15, 20 degs????

Try getting your radiator pressure tested....also "flushing the radiator" isn't just jetting the bugs out of the fins.......try flushing the whole system internally including the block.....

Does your fluid level change???? A small leak in the system may cause an increase in temp......

I'm assuming you have a stock 350, so I just don't see how installing an electric fan is going to help you overcome a potential overheating problem......

Old 07-22-2003, 09:12 AM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: Over heating... any ideas? (standup)

the rad was flushed by the previous owner about 5000kms ago. I can't imagine it needs another flush. I don't know if the temp is really much higher than it was last year, I never made a note of what it was (last year was the 1st year i had it) and i have had problems pretty much since May. Not horrible temps, but higher than normal (I think). Last time I took my rad cap off to check the level I noticed it was very hard to get off. I understand a bad rad cap will cause over heating as well. :confused:

[Modified by bloodvette80, 2:14 PM 7/22/2003]
Old 07-23-2003, 07:29 AM
standup
Drifting

what a previous owner says he's done and whether he's done it correctly are often two different things.......it's not going to hurt flushing the radiator again....especially if it relieves your concerns.

I look at the oil pressure and temp gauges more than my speedo....I'm happy with temps of 180 on the highway and 205 in traffic at idle on a hot day...

It's normal to see a slight rise in operating temp during summer weather, but at least check your hoses and connections, fluid level...replace the cap and thermostat (maybe a 160 deg????) and do a proper flush......if this doesn't help then you'll have to look at the radiator or water pump........
Old 07-23-2003, 09:20 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Over heating... any ideas? (standup)

Bloodvette....205 sounds ok to me, but if you do feel that it is too "high", under what conditions? If idling in traffic, check for lean fuel mixture, inoperative or incorrectly hooked up vacuum advance, shroud/fan (sounds like you've done that), sticking thermostat. If on the highway (then cools down at lower speeds), check broken or missing chin spoiler, lower rad hose collapsing. I can't recall the design of an '80, and some of this may not apply, I'm thinking "'68" here!

I know you have probably checked all of this but thought I'd throw it all up just in case something has been overlooked.

Get notified of new replies

To Over heating... any ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Over heating... any ideas?